Thursday 24 July 2008

Joe Franklin Raped Me

I'm not sure how it happened but while watching The Aristocrats on DVD the other night, it was a run-of-the-mill random play.com order, I saw it, remembered a friend said it was good so ordered it. It turned out to be better than good, it's great!

The premise is a simple one, I didn't know this but there is a joke called the aristocrats which is supposedly a 'green room' joke, shared amongst comedians, rarely, if ever, preformed in front of an audience yet every comedian seems to know it. It all starts with a guy walking into a talent agency and saying “have I got an act for you!” it then descends into an ad-libbed description of the act including anything and everything the comedian can thing of, the dirtier and more shocking, the better.

After describing, in depth: incest, pedophilia, scatting, bestiality, homophobia, sexism, racism, necrophilia and pretty much any taboo you care to think of, the talent agent says “what do you call and act like that?”, “the Aristocrats” boom boom. The great thing is, every comedian they interviewed (they had some of the biggest names in US comedy) had their own unique take on the ad-libbed bit and it was great watching them share their own view on this common experience.

The film did make me think about how easy it is to offend someone with a joke, I've always believed that there should be no boundaries with jokes, I know this isn't a very political correct thing to say but so long as what you say is not motivated by ignorance, people should not be judged on the grounds of a tasteless joke.

One of the great moments of the film was Sarah Silverman, I never thought the line “Joe Franklin raped me” would have my laughing so hard but the build up to this 'punchline' fantastic and delivered with a completely straight face! The fact that the joke was completely tasteless hit home perfectly, hilarious and I think is a good case-in-point.

I would highly recommend this film, it's worth a watch if only to see the mime (I have a healthy fear of mimes) preform the joke.

For now, I'll leave you with the classic song, I'm fucking Mat Damon, how do you like them apples?

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Ah, yes I saw this film - I actually didn't find it the best, perhaps because of the american accent on the word Aristocrats?! But some parts were good - I always enjoy people laughing at their own jokes so that amused me.

Josh said...

Yes I did find the American accent on Aristocrats annoying, then they went to on say it should be th sophisticates because "a lot of people don't know what an aristocrat is"......