Monday 15 September 2008

Mad Mash

Going about, in and around London, I notice things that make me think. It's mostly good things that reaffirm my faith in the Human race; it's a nice, happy feeling knowing that, despite all the craziness, war, famine and shear stupidness that's evident throughout the world, we may just survive.

Unfortunately, every now and then, I see something that fires off the wrong synapses and leaves me thinking that we are all doomed. One such example as I was picking up a few things from the local supermarket, I wondered into the frozen foods section and found a product that has still left me baffled.

The product, in itself, was rather simple; it was a pack of frozen mash potato. I almost passed it without noticing but something in the back of my mind said 'Stop!' I can not believe that there is a market for frozen mash potato.

I can understand instant mash (Smash, if anyone still remembers it) as it's not really the same. The texture's different, the taste is different, it's not mash! Frozen mash on the other hand, boggles the mind.

Cut up a few potatoes (I prefer to keep the skin on), throw them into boiling water, cook for a few minutes till soft, drain, take a fork or masher and mash the potatoes, add some butter, cheese, herbs to taste, serve. That's all it takes to make mash potato! If someone is too lazy to do that, if they truly feel the need to resort to frozen mash potato; than I have to ask, in all seriousness, are you really fit to contribute to society?

9 comments:

Graham said...

You leave the skin on when mashing? That's weird. Are you one of these strange people who eat the skins of jacket potatoes too?

I would definitely buy frozen mash potato if I thought it would taste anything other than awful. My dream is to come home from work and create a meal in no more than five minutes, ideally involving no washing up afterwards.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you need to pay more attention to the world around you.

Delia says it's great.

Kia Abdullah said...

> Josh
That's unfair. What about doctors and, er, journalists that are too busy to cook? They're productive members of society...

> Graham
I eat skins on jacket potatoes. But then, I am quite strange.

Josh said...

Graham, yes I eat the skin....

Kia/Graham, Now my thinking here is that the frozen mash would require at least as much time and washing up as making regular mash with the added bonus of it tasting awful.

Kia, I would have to disagree for the reasons above and the fact that in your sweeping statement, you've included quacks and hacks, they certainly have nothing to contribute.

Adam, I've followed Delia's recipe for boiling eggs and her timings are all wrong......

Sofi said...

josh, i wholeheartedly agree. but i cant stand instant mash or the frozen variety. as if there werent enough processed ready meals already screaming at us in the supermarket aisles reminding us of the bleak long working hours stroke capitalism stroke instant gratification. shakes head. sign of the times. in my day, it was frozen straight cut chips yknow!

ps i used to love mash potatoe in school (i was one of those rare gems who loved their school meals) with lots of vinegar mmmm.

Josh said...

Ah, school dinner mash, a classic dish mixed with peas and gravy =)

Muhamad Lodhi said...

LOL.

More importantly, people whose business it is to churn out such fodder for our consumption, in those terrible supermarkets, are they fit for our society? :-)
I remember an East End poet, Ray Stebbing I think he was called, said that sooner or later this planet might be inhabited by lowly creatures such as the cockroaches.

Ariane said...

So, unlike Bobby Pickett, you don't do the Monster Mash?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thH3qnHTbI&feature=related

Graham: I am vindicated by the fact that Kia and Josh leave the skin on too. You used to just tell me it was me being weird.

Josh said...

Muhamad, the frozen mash guys are just responding to market trends =(

Ariane, I have no qualm against the monster mash or indeed the graveyard smash for that matter, though my science teacher used to play it every day as we filed into the room.....