Thursday 11 September 2008

Window Shopping

“Which way?”

“Walk north than when you see the pregnant mannequins, take a right.”

“What?”

“Walk north than when you see the pregnant mannequins, take a right.”

“Pregnant mannequins? Really, Josh?”

“Yes, where do you think baby mannequins come from?”

A common conversation that has yet to get someone lost en route to my office. These mannequins usually grace the display window of the Topshop on Regent's Street and every day, as I walk past, it brings a small smile to my face, I've always thought it was Topshop's way of sticking a subtle finger up at conformity, there way of saying “pregnant ladies are beautiful”. They look great, infinitely better than the no-body-all-legs displays I pass everywhere else.

Unfortunately, as I walked home tonight, my smile was turned upside down. The master (or mistress) of displays at the shop thought a change of tact was needed, currently the windows is filled with the new range by Kate Moss. As, I'm guessing, is necessary with anything Kate Moss related, the window has many size 0 mannequins.

The shop front in question isn't on there flagship store (it's nicely tucked away) and they tend to change the display quite often. Usually, I like it, they always put up something slightly out of the ordinary so I really hope Kate Moss doesn't last too long and whoever thinks up these displays gets back on par.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

here here! well said, bring back the preggo ladies! I have the horrible suspicion they've put them in some kind of battery-mannequin farm... those size 0 one's aren't growing themselves.

Kia Abdullah said...

Lucky you didn't test out the instructions on me. I always have new and wonderful ways of getting lost.

As for a nonconformist Topshop... hahahahahahHAHA!

Josh said...

Dan, thanks but I do hope you're wrong about the battery-mannequin farms...

Kia, I wouldn't do that. I'll stay on the phone until I know you see a landmark, then I'll come and get you. You're ability to get lost is unlike that of anyone else!

Ariane said...

I used to be the petite fit model for TopShop (back when I was 22) and though the mannequins are unfortunately size 4, I can confirm that they model on a size 10, which is a healthy size. I used to have to try on whole racks of clothes (not all at once, one after the other) - sounds exciting, but it got boring very quickly.

Re. the pregnancy clothes, they don't model them on pregnant women, because they change shape too quickly. Instead, they have a plaster 'bump' that the unfortunate fit model has to wear! I was spared this indignity because TS don't make petite pregnancy clothes (or at least, they didn't in 2002). But I agree that the pregnant mannequins look lovely - and whenever I see a pregnant woman, I feel really happy for her.

Josh said...

Ariane, I had no idea! Thanks for the insight.