Saturday 22 November 2008

Fog Lights Off

It's rare but from time to time, I come across a great idea that's so great, so useful that I can't imagine how life was like before it. The other day, I saw just that. While waiting for a bus I noticed a police car pull up at the lights. They has a scrolling message board stuck on top by the flashing lights; as the car behind pulled up, they must have been slightly blinded by the fog lights as, on the board, they put up “fog lights off”.

The guy took notice, turned off his fog lights and they all went on their merry way. Imagine, if you will the unlimited crime fighting possibilities that this will bring up. As the car drives by they could put up the message “could you please stop mugging him” or “that knife looks a bit threatening”. Perhaps as they pull into a cafĂ©: “coffee, black, 3 sugars”.

They shouldn't stop there, this could have more social benefits when displaying sighs like “is that shell suite really necessary” or “your trousers really don't go with your jacket”..... It is great to see the Metropolitan police trying out new things to make this city a better place.

8 comments:

Zany said...

Does that mean that the London Police is too lazy to get out of the comfort of their warm cars, and actually hand out traffic tickets :P?

I actually like this new idea of passive-aggressive policing.

Btw "Your post was interesting." :)

Graham said...

Call me a cynic, but my first thought was that it won't be long before they start selling advertising space...

Sofi said...

Yay! change has come!

Josh said...

Zany, I would imagine they would still go that extra mile if it meant generating some income but maybe that's just the cynic in me.

Graham, brilliant idea! I'll get onto the met right now.

Sofi, Yes it's change but is 'Yay' really the right phrase to use here?

Lulu LaBonne said...

Brilliant scheme - I think we should all have them on top of our cars and embedded in our jackets I'd flash things like 'you're hot' as I walked past hot people ... guess it'd get me into trouble though

Daisy said...

That's so funny they don't get out of the car anymore, they just have a screen - it's cool but it's a bit scary, it's so impersonal, a bit Big Brother-ish. But a good development for sure, especially considering the weather in Britain!

Josh said...

Lulu, welcome to my soapbox!

This is a great idea! I wonder if you can get this on t-shirts?

Dasiy, thanks, let's see if this catches on.

Cole said...

The way you eat injera is you break a small piece of the injera about 3 inch by 3 inch and then scoop the wot with it and kind of wrap the injera around the sauce and eat. Other families save the turkey for Thanksgiving and the ham for Easter, while eating a delicious prime rib for Christmas. The long sunset is turning twilight as we turn on final, runway in sight and wind 10 to 12 mph right on the runway. For You I Will - Teddy Geiger ( Lyrics ). KELLOGGS CEREAL IN CUP RAISIN BRAN BOX/6 are characterized under Cereals and Breakfast.