Friday 1 August 2008

Wake Up!

I've fallen into an all to common cycle, I buy an alarm clock, use it than 18 months later, it stops working. It's not a technical problem as such, it's just that over the months, I get used to it; to the point that the noise stirs me in the morning but doesn't quite wake me.

The first solution I pioneered years ago was simply to move the alarm clock away. Simple, I would have to physically get out of bed to turn the thing off, surly I couldn't go wrong! It worked for less than a week, I would get out of bed, walk across to the other side of the room turn the alarm off and go back to bed as if nothing happened. Amazingly I would do this every morning and wake up in a mild panic two hours later.

So, every 18 months I need to buy a new alarm clock, this doesn't really bother me much as for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I enjoy shopping for alarm clocks; I understand this isn't normal but there it is, I think it appeals to the geek in me.

My current alarm clock is great, it has a snooze function. It's been moving further and further away from the bed and it's currently as far as it will go without leaving the room. I figure the snooze function works every 8 minutes and the other morning I managed to continually snooze it for 2 hours. For thous who feel the need to calculate: I pressed the snooze button 15 times!

My next purchase will be this nice little number, it lets you record your own alarm sound which will play at the allotted time. The theory here is that if I get used to a sound, I can simply change it. Now all I need to do is convince Cameron Diaz to record the phrase “open your eyes” though I'd settle for Penélope Cruz, I'm not picky.....

2 comments:

anonemouse said...

funnily enough, penelope cruz has starred in a film called 'open your eyes', altho' am not sure if she ever got to say the immortal words:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Your_Eyes_%28film%29
and, if you're ever finding it hard to sleep, she reprised her role in the tom cruise remake 'vanilla sky' which is guaranteed to produce somnolence, if the nausea doesn't get to you first...

Josh said...

I would imagine, at some point in the film she would say "Abre los ojos". I only just saw Vanilla Sky recently and rather liked it, to the point where I was going to order Abre los ojos so I wouldn't have to put up with the 2 things I didn't like: Tom Cruise, the Hollywood condescending need to explain everything.

That being said, I'm sure that bit where Cruz/Diaz say "open your eyes" on the alarm clock was a nod to the original.....