Sunday 31 August 2008

Blood on the Dance Floor

It's odd, on Friday one of the great musical minds of this generation, the so-called 'king of pop' turned 50. The event went almost completely unnoticed, with the only publicity surrounding his name at the moment is the pending release of his greatest hits album. For a guy who signed his first record contract at the age of 11 and than went on to grow from strength to strength to become one of the biggest selling artists, this lack of note of his semicentennial just goes to show how far he has fallen.

Don't get me wrong, following the trials and tribulations of Michael Jackson over the years and the shocking revelations that have come out, I don't think he's the sort of person I'll be inviting to dinner any time soon but some of his albums and songs, I believe, will stand the test of time. And unlike another famous pedophile from history, he didn't feel the need to put his achievements down to a 'Revelation' from an angel.

Thriller, bad, dangerous and, indeed, history are still albums I put on every now and than and just.... listen. I've often said (rather guiltily, I'll add) that perhaps if his career was cut short, if he stopped making albums he might, today be considered 'great' but as it happened, he is now nothing but a punchline.

I know this is kind of an off the wall thing to say but, despite everything (I believe the guy should be locked up) I still like his music.

4 comments:

Muhamad Lodhi said...

A friend of mine once pointed out to me that there's no "philia" involved in harming children, since it springs from a certain loathing of innocence of childhood. And in the case of Jackson, we know now what kind of childhood he had. You don't need be psychiatrist/psychologist to figure it out. There's a more appropriate and befitting word for such types, the word is "pedoscele".

Having said that, I think Quincy Jones is a great contemporary composer.

Josh said...

Kia, erm, yeah.... I (you're not going to believe this) don't have off the wall.

Muhammad, not all cases stem from loathing of innocence but that's not the point. Call it what you want, it's just wrong!

I would have to agree, Quincy Jones is a great composer (and, indeed, producer) I only recently found out that he's black.... I don't know why (and this is totally inconsequential) but I always assumed he was white....

Muhamad Lodhi said...

Jones is mixed - Welsh, Tuareg, Injun, African-American, etc. Shares his birthday with Einstein.
His daugher, Rashida, is my idea of the American dream.

Josh said...

Just googled her.... who knew? =)