Tuesday 28 October 2008

Dogs, Purple Elephants and Bad Light


Meeting up with a few friends with the intention of walking around, taking a few pictures and maybe getting some lunch in the process didn't seem like a bad way of spending a Saturday. Though, as always, the company was good; the light was not (too much cloud) and neither was the inspiration. It speaks volumes when all the three of us could do was take clichéd photos of red phone boxes and the like.

With the threat of rain constantly hovering over us, we walked over to St. Paul's Cathedral where we ran into a bunch of students who, for some inexplicable reason were dressed up as animals (notice the waving dog), the weirdest of which was a big purple elephant. No, I got no reasonable breakdown as to why someone would want to do this, let alone parade around London's biggest tourist attraction like this.

This was a far cry from a few weeks ago when we did pretty much the same thing but in glorious sunshine, it lead to a great day with some pretty good pictures (it was the day I saw the 'Ghost Bridge'). Near the end of that day, we ended up opposite the Palace of Westminster where I snapped this picture. It inspired me to go through the trouble of getting it printed.

The walls in my flat are quite bare and it's been to my list of 'things to do' to get some pictures printed, framed and hung up. Unfortunately, being almost completely lazy, I've managed to do nothing about it. I contacted the nice people at bigfoot imaging who basically took the picture, retouched it and made it look absolutely amazing on paper! Granted I'm still pretty lazy so I've yet to get a frame for it but I've taken the first step, I've got something printed....

12 comments:

Muhamad Lodhi said...

Maybe they were doing something for charity?

Zany said...

I love the black and white phone booths picture. And, of course the Westminister photo, the water looks beautiful.

Maybe the students were trying out their Halloween costumes?

Sofi said...

you take stunning pics, josh!

and BTW that telephone box photo is no ordinary telephone box photo! i'm loving it.

i have learned to expect the unexpected when i'm on a random walk in c.london. i remember walking across the road (not far from St Pauls, in fact) and i noticed a group of people trying to walk stroke paddle towards me, along with cameras and videos rolling not far from a few angles. after asking a few random people, i later learned the group were a walking 3D jigsaw of an aeroplane and were shooting an ad for a green/eco charity....!

Graham said...

I'd love to see more of your photographs Josh. Do you have, or have you considered, a Flickr account? I notice you have a Canon 30D. I have the same camera and ought to use it more but at the moment I'm not terribly proficient with it.

Josh said...

Muhamad, Zany: I spoke to them and they had no reasons, it's just "something they do".

Zany, Sofi: Thanks! I might just print the phone booth one out.

Graham, I have to ask, how on earth did you know I used a 30D? It's a great camera, the 40D cost too much and I picked it up from eBay.....

Zany said...

I agree with Graham. You should put these pictures up on Flickr. Please and thank you =).

Graham said...

If you right click on the enlarged image and select image properties, your secrets are revealed...

Sofi said...

Based on experience, I would NOT advise Flickr. There are other sites available which can host FREE unlimited albums if im not wrong.

Josh said...

I'll get some sort of on line photo album and will post more pics here....

Thanks, I really glad people like them =)

Anonymous said...

just something they do? Oh man, how I envy them. Next time I'm in London, I might go in a Mickeymouse outfit...better than a black backpack.

Daisy said...

I loved the waving dog!! Very friendly. And they are really good photos I have to say - the Big Ben one is fantastic, so evocative, I know that view so well, your blog always makes me homesick for London!

Josh said...

Muhamad, that's hilarious, though what could be more disturbing is if you go around London in a Donald Duck outfit (this is an obsure joke, just think: Mickey Mouse wares trousers.....)

Daisy, thanks, the Big Ben one looks better on paper, they did a great job of it!