Friday 24 October 2008

You've Got me on my Knees

I don't listen to much radio (I don't own one) but when I'm in someone's car something is usually on. More often than not (in my brother-in-law's car) it's Virgin radio, usually an odd mix of classic rock and modern crap. A few weeks ago the radio station reinvented itself as 'Absolute', it's essentially the same thing but with subtle differences.

They say that one of their revolutionary changes is that they play all songs in full! Amazing, I thought, there are so many songs out there that are too long for radio, they take a 10 minute song and reduce it to 3 for the sake of their schedule. I say if you can't find time to play it in full then why on earth play it?

Driving along and through the crackle, I hear Laya by Derek and the Dominos, it's one of my all time favorite songs. It has an instantly recognisable introduction and some great guitaring (shockingly it was not Eric Clapton playing the opening section but Duane Allman) throughout. This made me go into my usual rant that most people wont ever get to hear the excellent piano in the second half as pretty much every station will cut it before it comes on. The point where the song is usually cut came and went and the piano came on, I couldn't believe it, they were going to devote prime broadcasting time to the entire song, how refreshing.

The lyrics of the song are amazing, the title was based on the Persian poem 'Layla and Majnun'. The poem is about a guy who falls madly in love with a triable princess named Layla, he can do nothing but think of her all day and writes a number of poems about her. I can't remember much of the story but I do remember he asks for her hand in marriage and is refused by her father, Layla eventually marries another man (of her father's choosing) , on this, our hero wonders off into the desert; he slowly goes insane with the thought of never being able to be with the woman he loves.

All this isn't completely irrelevant in terms of the song, as the story goes, Clapton fell in love with George Harrison's (yes the Beatles guy) wife, naturally he can't be with her and (I guess) this is where the song comes from. A guy (a poet if you will) falls for a girl, it's forbidden love just like the poem. He longs for her and rather than writing poems for her, he writes one of the greatest rock songs ever!

Clapton's story and the poem diverge at this point as I believe George Harrison's wife left him and married Clapton in the end (though I think that ended in divorce, such it life); that and I don't think Clapton ever went insane, but don't quote me on that.

I digress, what made me think about this was a tiny little gem Clapton put at the very end of the song. I don't know how he does it but he stretches the guitar string in such a way as to make a bird 'chirping' sound. This was supposedly a nod to the great jazz legend Charlie 'The Bird' Parker; believe me (or not, listen for your self), after it's all died down and the song is over, you'll hear the bird, almost as an afterthought.

Absolute radio, playing the song in 'full', they manage an impressive seven or eight minutes, they get both parts in but the very last note, the 'bird'; it was nowhere to be heard, shocking, after all that air-play, they cut the last half second.....

5 comments:

Graham said...

In principle I like the idea of a radio station playing songs in full, but it rather depends on what they're playing. I wouldn't want to miss a second of Paranoid Android for example (even though I've heard it hundreds of times) but then I'd be quite grateful if the latest Scouting For Girls effort was truncated as much as possible. Hearing a second or two would be plenty. Since the bad songs always outnumber the good, maybe it's not such a good thing.

Personally I couldn't listen to anything but Radio 1.

Zany said...

I like how you described the poem. It made me look it up online. Great post Josh.

Sofi said...

very obervational..and/or you sure store alot! :-) i will be checking out this station. like graham, i dont mind them playing a favourite in full but anything else?!

graham, occasionally, i'll switch to radio 1 in the morning - but i did have to stop the routine since they're always inundated with messages and couldnt read out my emails on a regular basis...!

Josh said...

Graham, I've just had a day of the ting tings being sung in my ear so I'm inclined to agree with you. I like Radio 1, I really should get a radio....

Zany, I do enjoy reading stuff like that but often think something must be lost in translation.

Sofi, Thanks!
> but i did have to stop the routine since they're always inundated with messages and couldnt read out my emails on a regular basis...!

This is a loss for radio 1 listeners everywhere! Keep your comments coming, I for one find them amusing.

Derek_M said...

The little chirping at the end is accomplished by taking a slide beyond the fretboard and accessing notes that are not available by fretting. This was most likely played by Duane Allman since he was the brilliant slide player.

You can hear the same kind of effect by the inimitable Jeff Beck on the song 'Blackbird' from his album 'You Had It Coming'.

Carlos Santana also does something similar near the end of his song "Victory is Won".