Wednesday 8 October 2008

Ten Years in the Making

Today has had the endorphins racing through my system, nothing major has happened, this is usually an experience most people have at the age of 17 but not me. Today, at the ripe old age of 27, I finally passed my driving test!

I'm not usually one to get nervous or stressed but this morning I was shaking, stuttering and generally crapping myself. I've (over the years) managed to fail, I think, five times for various reasons, including one disastrous test where the examiner fell asleep during the test!

Today was a slightly different matter, the nerves melted away and I think the drive went quite smoothly, I took my foot of the clutch for a moment so could place it in my mouth by asking the examiner: “where abouts in Italy are you from?” only to get the reply: “I'm polish”, oh dear.

We got to the end of the test and I was relived that he didn't ask me to do a 'bay park', he places a few marks on the sheet and tells me that I've passed with only three minors; that's fewer minors than Gary Glitter had!

He takes my license to get my details down and raises a well justified eyebrow at the 10 points I've acquired on a motor bike but doesn't bring it up (thankfully). Next thing to do (so people tell me) is to get a car but at the moment I don't really feel the need for one. Granted I live fairish distance from the city but I've not felt hindered by not having a mode of transportation, I mostly rely on the underground and frankly, most of the time, it's quicker.

Now with a nice clean line drawn under this I'm thinking maybe now is a good time to go back and finish my masters..... maybe not.

11 comments:

Sofi said...

congratulations! your preserverence paid off!does this mean you will be cycling less? i always admired it so hoping not!

if you dont mind me asking, why did you leave the masters btw?

anonemouse said...

Congratulations, Josh, sixth time lucky!
Great quip re Gary Glitter, too!

Kia Abdullah said...

Yay. Well done. You definitely don't need a car. I barely needed one after I passed. Though now I haven't driven for six years and I *do* need a car what with living out in the sticks that is Zone 4 with no underground in sight :(

Zany said...

Congratulations!!!

Josh said...

Sofi, Thanks! No I wont be giving up on the bike, I love riding around London and that's not going to change.

I gave up on the masters because I couldn't work and do a part-time masters at the same time, it was too much.

ER, Thanks! So far, you are the only one to have found it funny =)

Kia, I was thinking about getting one for the weekends for just that reason, so that when I do finally need one, I'll be ok to drive.

Zany, Thanks =)

Ariane said...

Fantastic news! Love the "Polish" line.

Why do you think you'll finally need a car? Are you moving out to the sticks sometime soon?

Josh said...

Ariane, Thanks!

I'm not planning to move out into the sticks any time soon (nor would I want to) but, from what I gather, this is what people do, they move out, put up a white picket fence and get a dog, perhaps a 4X4...

Muhamad Lodhi said...

Now Gary Glitter. Previously Michael Jackson. There's something of a personality pattern forming here. :)

What would your Masters be in?

Congratulations! Now, perhaps, you can fulfill your ambition to be F1 driver.
27 isn't bad. I've known how to drive since my early 20s but when I lived in London, I just couldn't be bothered with passing my test.

Muhamad Lodhi said...

hey, you don't need 4x4 to live in the country. In London buses come in 2s or 3s but out here they come every 2 or 3 hours!

Graham said...

Well done Josh! If I see you out in the concrete jungle, I'll give you a flash.

With my headlights.

Josh said...

Muhamad, my masters would not be in Astrophysics, it's hard, in-fact it's rocket science!

As for being an F1 driver, I think I'm too big to fit into the cars as they are designed for small people....

Graham, thanks, I look forward to being flashed by you.

Your headlights that is....