Sunday 12 October 2008

Ghost Bridge


Walking along the shores of the river Thames (it was low tide and not a torso in sight), we walked up to Blackfriars railway bridge. What a lot of people don't always notice is that just west of the railway are the remains of the old Blackfriars railway bridge. It was removed in 1985 as it wasn't strong enough to take the weight of modern trains.

What was left was the pillars that held up the original bridge. They look quite eerie standing alone with no bridge to support while just next door, it's bigger brother has trains going in and out all day long.

I'm obviously not alone in seeing this slightly chilling sight as they (the powers that be) have set up an art installation called 'The Ghost Bridge' where they have used green lasers that hover just above the pillars to make a bridge out of light. It was simply done and, once the sun went down, it looked pretty surreal, I quite liked it.




13 comments:

Zany said...

I was there in January. Nice pics :D. I wonder how green the lights are :P.

Josh said...

The only think I did to the pics was resize them, the greens, I can assure you, are spot on the pillars, on the other hand, were a lot more red (they look a bit orange in the pictures).

Kia Abdullah said...

I think Zany meant green as in environmentally friendly...

Josh said...

Ah, sorry I missed that, clearly I'm too wrapped up in photoshop =)

Zany said...

Kia is right, my uber green Torontonian-self wanted to know how environmentally friendly these lights were :P. I'm a killjoy like that.

The pics are very beautiful.

Josh said...

I guess I'm quite literal minded and I've been known to miss things....

Thanks =)

Muhamad Lodhi said...

Wow. I have fond memories of living not far from it. I actually remember what they did '85.

Josh said...

Muhamad, I would have been 4 at the time and, from what I remember, I didn't read much.... I'd like to see pictures of it in it's glory days (not found any in wiki).

Zany said...

Josh,
literal is good :D

Ariane said...

They're rather beautiful, aren't they?

Graham said...

Light traffic only?

Josh said...

Ariane, thanks, though I'm a little shocked you missed the pun Graham made....

Graham, Brilliant!

Muhamad Lodhi said...

'light traffic' made me smile.

Josh, I think you might find pictures in one of the local libraries. Might be worth a try, if you're interested.

You were 4? I was 11 or 12 (just in case you think I'm some old geyser).