Thursday 2 October 2008

Did I Ever Smell Like That?

It's weird the way my opinions change at the drop of a hat or when a tiny bit of evidence comes to light. For years, I've been a smoker, from before I was legally allowed to buy cigarettes (the age was 16 back in them days, not 18 as it is now), I was puffing away without a care in the world.

People would often ask “did you go out for a smoke?” or tell me that they could smell the smoke. I could never tell, for one thing, I was too accustomed to the smell to know; I couldn't even smell it on others! I few months ago I decided to stop smoking and although I've lapsed a few times, I'm now a non-smoker and feel better for it.

A few nights ago, I was having dinner with a few friends and in between the starter and the main course, some of them popped out of a quick mid-meal cigarette. On there return, my entire world view was bought into question, I could smell the smoke and it was horrid. How on earth could I not have smelt that?

I've tried quitting a number of times with varying degrees of success but I've never experienced anything like this before, it was a full on assault on my nose! So I now realise that I've been incredibly antisocial but inflicting this smell on the people around me and what's worse is that I never once listened to anyone who would try to tell me this.

People who have quit tell me that food tastes better or that they can run faster, longer, jump higher and such but to be perfectly frank, I've not noticed any of that, I don't feel the least bit healthier but it's been worth it to get my sense of smell back; even if I didn't know I had lost it.

13 comments:

Ariane said...

The answer is: yes, almost definitely! And I'm really glad you had the willpower to stop, as so many people don't.

Zany said...

Has your caffeine intake gone down too?

seeds of dholl said...

Similar story here... I smoked from age 16 until a few months ago (I'm 30)...bout of bronchitis made me stop.

Now I can barely fathom how anyone can face putting all that smoke into their lungs, like hundreds of intakes per day!

I feel like Im slowly morphing into the classic smokers' nemesis...the ex-smoker who's anti-smoking.

I even tell weed smokers to drink it in tea or eat it in muffins...just stop damaging your lungs!

Kia Abdullah said...

Not that I revel in saying it but... I told you so.

Kia Abdullah said...

Oh, forgot to add the 'tee hee hee'.

Josh said...

Ariane, it's not just will power, I find it really helpful that the people around me supported me and gave me a clean knock on the head when I was craving.

Zany, caffeine is a whole other kettle of fish.....

Seeds, I agree, although I see myself as a 'self richeous non smoker' at some point in the future, it's not happened yet.

Kia, you're right, it's not like you at all to revel in it... thanks for your support.

Zany said...

The only reason I asked is because nicotine increases caffeine uptake in our body. For this reason, you'd see smokers taking frequent coffee breaks.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering just the other day how your non-smoking was going. Well done! Smoker's breath is deeply unpleasant.

Josh said...

Zany, this wouldn't be a good gauge for me as I drink coffee by the gallon. I can tell you that nicotine is an appetite suppressant as I was constantly starving for the first two weeks.

Creative, thanks =)

Sofi said...

Although i'm staunchly anti-smoking, and would be automatically put off at the sight of a potential hotty lighting a cigarette, i do find the lingering smell on men's jackets a tad attractive.

Well done you on giving it up!

Josh said...

Sofi, I don't know what to say, the lingering jacket smell is the worst, just ask any non smoker that went to the pub before the smoking ban.

Sofi said...

>>ust ask any non smoker that went to the pub before the smoking ban.

that would include me. but it didnt change my - perhaps warped and misplaced- sense of ...ahem... attraction.

Josh said...

Sofi, you're an unusual girl. Thanks =)