Monday 23 June 2008

Thank You For Smoking

Smoking is a filthy habit, not only does the smoke damage your lungs and can cause heart disease or blood clots (or much worse), it also effects the people you choose to smoke around even though they didn't choose to smoke and have pretty much no say in the matter! Sure things are getting better with the smoking ban, you come home without the lingering smell of burned tobacco following you. I would venture the opinion that we should go either one step further or one step back from the 'smoking in the workplace' ban.

The problem is, the average pack of cigarettes (I'll use Marlboro as an example as it is the world's most recognisable brand) costs around £6; £3.56 of which is tax! Now you don't have to be great at maths to know that that's well over 50% (59% for the pedants out there). The question I would like to ask is how can the government justify such a high duty on cigarettes? I'm very aware of the stock argument that smokers will need more health care in the future and that cancer treatments are expensive but that's not enough to justify that much duty.

Smokers die younger, that is a fact, they are at an increased risk of getting lung cancer, mouth cancer, heart disease, stroke and a whole heap of other ailments. Generally speaking, these things will kill so, as a result, these people wont be taking out a state pension or need any help from the NHS for the large list of ailments that are synonymous with old age. I would imagine that the true cost (worth a read, if only as an example of 'true cost') of growing old (if you choose to have children than let's not forget the cost of education, state child care etc.) would be, at least, comparable to the short term treatments a smoker will receive.

I find it incredibly hypocritical that the government is essentially making a lot of money from smokers on the one had and is telling them where they can't smoke on the other! I would like to see a world where smokers can smoke where they like or I would, much rather, like to see a blanket ban on smoking, both cannabis and cocaine went through this process and the fact I can't go to a shop and buy a gram of coke seems socially acceptable now!

I'll stop ranting as hypocrisy usually drives me insane. I'll confess, I am a smoker, I have been for over ten years now, I wont smoke in cars with non-smoking passengers, I wont leave cigarette buts everywhere (I hold on to them until I can find a bin, this seems to be too much to ask from most smokers) and I try, when I can, to be considerate to the people around me.

I've had three serious attempts at quitting and although the longest lasted nine months, Lady Nicotine has always managed to drag me back. I mention this all now as, tomorrow, I'm about to embark on my fourth attempt. To be perfectly frank, I have no idea if I'll succeed in this attempt but I know it'll be worth a try....

6 comments:

VJ Sleight, Queen of Quitting said...

Congratulations Josh on making another attmept to quit. You can be successful at breaking your relationship to Lady Nicotine. She is a seductive temptress that offers so little for what she delivers. Let me know if I can offer any personal suggestions in your battle with Lady nicotine. I have been helping smokers quit for almost 20 years. VJ Sleight
www.StopSmokingStayQuit.blogspot.com

Graham said...

Personally, I don't think the duty on cigarettes is enough. If the government is serious about getting people to stop (and I'll admit this is far from certain) then they'd happily raise the price of a packet to £20. If they did, would you not resolve to quit instantly? Yes, it would see a rise in smuggled (and more dangerous) cigarettes, but on the whole I think it would help.

When smokers complain about their civil liberties being infringed, that is the biggest hypocrisy of all!

All the best with attempt number four. Just remember that nicotine is merely a chemical - your mind is far, far more powerful and quite capable of suppressing it with ease.

Josh said...

Queen, thanks, I'll post progress on this blog if only to embarrass myself into continuing.

Hermit, I'm not complaining about civil liberties but I do feel smokers pay more than their fair share, I'm all for banning cigarettes altogether, to me that seems like the only non hypocritical solution. Thanks for the encouragement! =)

Ariane said...

I'm right behind you. (Not literally, that would be scary.)

Josh said...

Thank you Ariane, support from friends means a lot to me! Thankfully I'm not paranoid enough to constantly be looking over my shoulder =)

Anonymous said...

you to buy chantix to quit the very dangerous 'nicotine' addiction by having the anti-smoking magic pill 'Chantix' which is Pfizer manufactured and approved by FDA on May 11,2006.For more sophisticated information about the side-effects of smoking and the treatment of it,Please logon to Chantix Online.