Saturday 7 June 2008

Unpretty

I have a friend, she's the sort of friend who isn't in italics or inverted commas, just to be clear. She's a wonderful person to while away the hours with, she's great fun, intelligent and has everything going for her. She's also very attractive but this is where it all falls apart, she seems to be the only person who doesn't see that.

This isn't just a self esteem issue, it's almost as if it's the complete opposite of Narcissism. She looks into a mirror and actually hates what she sees. I know to varying degrees that at some point in everyones life, they've wanted to change something or another, everyone has had a self-image issue but most seem to get over it and they accept their own flaws.

I think one of the lowest points one can get to is when a relationship goes sour for a reason you just can't fathom, I would imagine this would leave you (if it was a long enough relationship) with nothing in your life that you can hold onto but what if this feeling stayed with you? It's crazy, I know, but it does happen. In this case tho, it runs a lot deeper, I'm sure Freud would say something about childhood and parental interaction, how (as so often Freud does) the mother would have chipped away at your self esteem until there was nothing left and how this will effect and future relationship you have. This doesn't seem to be the reason here, she had a 'normal' childhood and her parents were nothing but supportive.

An issue with your self esteem or self image will effect almost every aspect of your life, you'll spend your days thinking your awful at your job, you get this slight downer feeling every time you go past a reflective shop front, I can't even imagine what a morning would be like I you can't look at a mirror, weighing yourself and seeing a few grams more then you did last time would be a nightmare.

In short it hurts me to see someone I care about going through this but that's nothing compared what she must be feeling. I was an incredibly insecure teen, I would hate myself, and I really mean hate, there was nothing I liked and the problem was the fact I was focusing totally on what I and other people saw. What people need to do is (to cite a bit of a cliche) look within and realise that you are a beautiful person, only then are you able to ignore all the bad comments others (who know nothing about you) throw at you (I'm not talking about constructive criticism here).

Only once you are comfortable with who you are, will you be comfortable with how you look and only then will you be comfortable with the people around you, after that you can truly enjoy life.

7 comments:

anonemouse said...

& she has a good friend in you josh.
i humbly believe this has to be the best and most beautiful piece you've written so far, and my sincere admiration to you for your understanding, your humanity and your love (of the italics and inverted comma-free kind) for your friend.
i hope that she will, one day, be able to accept herself as she is, and love herself they way you and others surely do, but, until then, at least she has you in her life.

Kia Abdullah said...

A very sweet post, Josh. I know I complain about you being too sensitive but I do actually think it's one of your best traits.

Until fairly recently, I had no time for people like the girl you mention and generally thought they should just pull themselves together but I realised the importance of self-belief (http://www.kia-abdullah.com/
portfolio/col29.pdf). I have no idea how one goes about building self-confidence that isn't there naturally but I hope she finds peace.

Josh said...

ER, thanks! It's probably due to the fact that I care little about the things I post about usually but feel they need to go somewhere. This, on the other hand, I care deeply about and, given your comment, it looks like it shows.

Kia, I have no idea where one would start if you didn't believe in your self. I think it's something everyone has and can be lost which gives me the hope that it, at least, can be rebuilt. The first step, I guess, would be to figure out what made you lose it.

Kia Abdullah said...

> The first step, I guess, would be to figure out what made you lose it.

Luckily, in my case, it's not difficult: " "

Sofi said...

>>>Only once you are comfortable with who you are, will you be comfortable with how you look and only then will you be comfortable with the people around you, after that you can truly enjoy life.
People go professional and charge for their Motivational Speak/Support so a massive well done to you - you didn’t even feature in The Apprentice to get yourself on the ladder!

I would say every one goes through this self hate thing at some point or another but I imagine you would most likely find yourself strongly hating during your teen years, when you're typically not in complete control of your developing hormonal side.

I look in the mirror and see a fat bulging stomach and millions of other shallow self conscious thoughts but your friend is in a different, more concerning, situation it seems (unless you habitually indulge in the art of embellishment!).

There are really ugly people who feel beautiful because their parents say and make them feel it. They feel loved and secure. Sometimes, its not just about feeling happy within - there are no definite and clear steps to take to attain the state of nirvana so the closest thing is to look outside that and at people around you..

Your friend is lucky and can draw comfort from having a "friend" as caring as you in their life - maybe in time they will learn to appreciate the good things they possess and not focus on the negatives.

Josh said...

Sofi, thanks for your comment and the complement! I would love to tell you that I've embellished but sadly, in this case, it's not.

I used to know a motivational speaker and from what I can gather, to be able to do this, you need to be a character with an excess of personality, alas, that's just not me!

Cowansjwmw said...

Phentermine's severe side effects discourage doctors from advising it for weight loss. Should the doctor advises phentermine, do not allow other people to take it. You can cause those who aren't prescribed their health. To prevent the insomniac side effect, only consume it in the morning Weight Loss Surgeries However taken sensibly, this fat loss supplement can prompt natural excess weight losses of 4 pound per week. Avocados One common pitfall that dieters get caught in is to believe that in order to boost the rate at which they slim down, they should drop their calorie consumption to very low. This will likely work for 2 weeks or so, but simply cannot be sustained. Once you go below 1200 calories, you'll lose the energy you need to sustain your day-to-day routine, not to mention add additional exercise. You will be starving hungry constantly and a lot more likely to go off program.