Sunday 15 June 2008

Sunday Afternoon

It's been a busy and almost sleepless week this week so the lay in I had this morning was very much welcome. I love Sundays when I have nothing to do, the sun is up (sort of), no phone calls and nowhere to be. Of late, I've had many such days so I'm not quite sure what to do with myself, so far, after waking up (that's the morning gone) I caught the end of 'Back to the Future' and then Columbo.

There's something very comforting about watching Columbo on a Sunday afternoon, maybe this is because Peter Falk has been gracing our screens since 1968 so for as long as I can remember, watching this rain coat waring, seemingly harmless detective latch on to the person he knows is the killer, has been one of thous 'grounding' experiences.

“Just one more thing” he says to the unsuspecting killer, he usually follows this up with a number of pointless questions, this is where most people would slip up as only the real killer would bother thinking up answers to these pointless questions. You would have thought that people would have caught on to this trick, after all, this character hasn't changed at all in the last 40 years!

Tho I'm not much of a TV person, I guess I just like the familiarity that seeing the same character doing the same thing for, essentially, my entire life. At the very least, it's a good way to lazy away an afternoon while deciding what to have for dinner (still no closer to completing that task I'm afraid).

4 comments:

Kia Abdullah said...

Legend (him, not you).

Josh said...

I agree with you totally, he is indeed a legend, I am not.

anonemouse said...

perfect sundaying meandering post.
really captures the rhythm of the day and every sunday in living memory...
what did you have for dinner btw?

Josh said...

I don't cook much (can only do basics) so I often end up getting take out or going somewhere. Tonight, we went to a nice Lebanese/Iraqi place at the end of my road, I wasn't sure I'd be welcome there again but I'll save that story for another day.