Monday 9 June 2008

There We Are Then

I'm quite easy going, most things that I choose to rant about don't anger me in fact they don't even get me 'slightly miffed'. Most things like that (feel free to see the archive) are barely worth a mention, it's just that I choose to mention them. That's not to say that, every now and then, I don't see or hear of something that does make me think someone isn't fit to live as part of the Human race, in short it just pisses me off.

It usually boils down to one thing, treating others as if they were the stuff you scrape off your shoe. Unfortunately, over the last few weeks, two such incidents spring to mind and all I could do (unfortunately I'm very much a pacifist) is shake my head and draw from my limited arsenal of adjectives, a word with doesn't come close to rightly express my thoughts.

I feel I should probably glaze over the first incident for countless reasons but to put it simply he beat a guy for what, in anyone's book, would be a minor infraction if one was to glorify the action to the status of 'infraction'. In my mind, I see no reason to throw the first punch, I would even go as far as to say that I'm unlikely to throw the second one, I guess that's why hearing this guy's story just outright annoyed me.

The second incident seems relatively harmless, in fact what he did was a very simple action but it was an action that spoke volumes about the man. I was in a restaurant last night, enjoying a pleasant dinner when, to get the waiter's attention, the man at the next table clicked his fingers. Doesn't sound like much, I know, but here is a person who considers the waiter so far below him that the only thing worthy of him was a click. It's not just because I was a waiter that this really gets my goat, I can't stand anyone clicking their fingers like that towards any other human being.

It's true we are not all born equal but is it such that we can ignore civility? Can we afford to ignore even the most basic courtesies? I'm going to say “no”, if you don't have time to be, at the very least, civil then I, for one, have no time for you (other than the time I've devoted to this post).

19 comments:

Marianne said...

Yep I hate the finger clicking too. I think for the good of humanity everyone should have to do at least 3 months working in a shop or a restaurant just to know how that feels.

In France it's such a different culture- the waiters have a lot of respect from people - it's a real career for them and they are proud of it. In Paris you'd be more likely to have the waiter clicking at you!

Josh said...

I know the French have a reputation for being rude but I think this is an entirely undeserved one, I've always been made to feel welcome and, generally, they are kind, courteous and above all respectful. Yes to the 3 month thing, that's a great idea!

Kia Abdullah said...

!!

Are you talking about who I THINK you're talking about??? Grrrrrr.

But I *do* agree with the finger-clicking thing. I've come across it before and always thought the guy doing it was a complete asshole.

And don't think 'arsenal of adjectives' was lost on me.

Josh said...

Kia. The person I'm talking about inspired the title of this post, does that sound like the person you're thinking about? I think you'll find that it does!

As you know 'arsenal of adjectives' was lifted from an article you wrote..... I loved it, thanks =)

Pretty Unfamous said...

I think being a waitress it's even worse when your customers slurp their soda at the end so it makes that noise to get your attention to refill it. ANNOYING.

And I'd probably want to slap one of my customers if ever he or she snapped at me.

Ariane said...

Great post. I have never clicked, nor been clicked at, nor ever encountered a clicker. But if I did, I would grab their hand and stick their thumb and middle finger up their nostrils so they could click no more (okay, so they'd still have the other hand, but I can think of a place to stick that too...) Grr!

Josh said...

Anglea, welcome! If you do ever feel the urge to slap, I'd say go right ahead. Thankfully I can say I've never had anyone slurp at me tho I can imagine that would be frightfully annoying!

Ariane, that made me laugh tho I something tells me you're not kidding. Worry not as I'm sure they would be using their free hand to call 999 so they can't use that to click either.

anonemouse said...

this guy had better watch out then if ariane goes down to the woods today, 'cos he'll be in a for a big, and rather uncomfortable surprise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gQBG42h3LI&feature=related

and, if there is such as thing as an arsenal of adjectives, does that mean there's also a tottenham hotspur of adverbs?

anonemouse said...

and just for you josh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gQBG42h3LI&feature=related

Sofi said...

One of my heavily pregnant colleagues has to ask/demand for a seat on the train during her commute. That really grates on my nerves.

No manners in this day n age, no manners.

Kia Abdullah said...

> Josh

Uncalled for! He was protecting a woman's honour. Ok, no, you're probably right... it's no excuse... pfft.

Josh said...

Er, thanks, that had me gritting my teeth!

Sofi, I have a confession, just yesterday, a pregnant woman had to tap me on my knee before I stood up. Now, in my defense, I had my head buried in a book and I can't hear a thing with my earphones on. If I had seen her, I would have gladly offer up my seat.

Kia, he lost his temper and took it out on a smaller guy, do you really want to discuss this on a public forum?

Kia Abdullah said...

> Sofi
You're so right. Worst thing is when you can see a pregnant woman but you don't have a seat. I always feel like tapping someone and saying, "Would you frickin' give that poor woman your seat please?" Just today, a woman got on the bus with two children and no-one at the front got up so I did and let the little one sit down... don't think anyone gave a care...

> Josh
Was 'Ok, no, you're probably right' totally lost on you? And you're the one who brought it into the public domain. And the other guy WASN'T smaller. How are you just making things up in your head?

Josh said...

No, it was not totally lost on me but I felt it was softened somewhat by the 'raspberry' at the end. I would like to think that I kept if sufficiently vague, if it was not vague enough then I apologise. Losing your temper and punching a guy bigger then you (or even the same size) is just as bad. In my mind, it's inexcusable, there are very few reasons to actually hit somebody and certainly none to throw the first punch! This is just my opinion and if you feel that violence was the way forward in that situation, you are more than welcome to have yours.

Kia Abdullah said...

Then why even mention 'smaller' in the first place? And I said I agree with you... tho, in all honesty, I think it was kinda romantic in the sick, twisted way that I think...

Sofi said...

Josh: I wonder if that was my colleague..

Josh said...

I would hope not, she didn't say anything, just tapped me, I noticed the bulge and stood up (does she habitually indulge in the art of embellishment? =))

Sofi said...

i'm sure "ask for a seat" can loosely mean prompted too :P

Josh said...

Very loosely..... You'll be happy to know that if I do see a lady 'in the family way' (this morning for example), I'll give up my seat.