Sunday 1 June 2008

Would You Marry a Size 24?

This question is pitched, in many guises, to me but most recently, it was asked, in verbatim, last night. Perhaps it would be a good idea to put this question, I was having dinner with two friends (both male, not that that's important), we weren't talking about the obesity crises in the UK or anything even loosely related to health, food, shopping or weight. We were simply walking back to the car when this question was just thrown out there.

“So how long have we been dating? What's she like?” I asked, “does it matter?”. “Well if you want me to answer this theoretical, you're going to have to give me some details.” With a few more questions and theoretical answers, apparently, we've been seeing each other for a while, obviously we like each other and more importantly, she's happy with who she is, in short we're soul mates (trust me to take a simple, superficial, throwaway question and turn it into something more fleshy).

I said “In that case, of course I would”, now these two guys, I've known for a major portion of my life so why this response inspired complete silence, I fear I'll never understand. I've always thought appearances aren't overly important and surly, I can't be alone in this. So why do I come across as superficial? I think the problem stems from the fact I have an opinion on almost everything and am more then happy to voice them. I guess most people don't seem to realize that just because I have voiced something, it doesn't necessarily mean I feel strongly about it. Yes, I know this is a major personality flaw but I'm working on it but in the mean time, I hope you enjoy the abundance of irrelevant, pointless things I have to say.

On another note, I spent a lazy Sunday afternoon watching Sleepless in Seattle which reminded me of this:


6 comments:

Ariane said...

All credit to you - most men want to marry a size 2x4. 24 is properly dangerously obese though, not just like a size 16. I think I would have to think hard about going out with someone who was living so unhealthily, but I would if I really loved them.

Josh said...

Granted size 24 is an extreme example and as you say dangerously obese but I think my friend was trying to make a point, it just wasn't a point I liked much.

As for 2x4, have you tried having a conversation with a 2x4 (or as the old adage goes, two of them)? It's hard work!

Kia Abdullah said...

I *loved* that trailer when I first saw it.

As for the size question - I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I like a man with a bit of 'chub' on him and hate hate hate big muscles but 24 is extreme. I'd opt for a copy of Moby Dick instead.

Josh said...

Size 24 is extreme but if it wasn't it wouldn't really be a hypothetical that got me thinking.

Hmm, I would have to agree (tho I should do that in public), I do prefer a good book =)

Marianne said...

Hi there just came in from Hattie's place - this is interesting, and I must tell my husband because he's already said, only half joking, that our marriage vows only count if I don't get obese when I'm old! (not that I'm about to, he was just putting it out there). It's not exactly fair is it, for richer for poorer, but not for fatter for thinner?

Josh said...

Marianne, thanks for your comment.

No doubt your husband is joking but one of the things I truly believe is that doing things like diet, exercise, dress up and generally get out of bed in the morning become pointless unless you feel comfortable in your own skin. I know too many people that look into the mirror and genuinely hate what they see and really pains me because no amount of going to the gym will make them feel any better. You (I mean the general 'you' not you =)) really have to do these things for yourself and not for anyone else, once you can can truly say you're happy with yourself, the rest just seems to fall into place.....