Thursday 5 June 2008

The Lone Krishnan

I was waiting by Oxford Circus the other day and I'm sure everyone's seen this sight (sorry for the lack of sound, I couldn't find a good clip). Ideals aside, seeing Hara Krishnas or Christians do their thing is quite a sight, they are always optimistic and (believe it or not) never fail to put a smile on my face. The other day, things were slightly different, I was standing in what can only be described as sub-par-drizzle when a single Krishnan walks by, chanting, dinging his symbols, but very much alone.

I'm not sure my mind could process it, you always see them in a group and as they chant and wave it's like a party passing you by. Alone, this doesn't have the same effect, it was almost a bit dreamlike, I don't want to say it was sad, it was different, more somber. An utterly surreal sight, one that I wasn't expecting to see.

I figure one of two things happened, either they saw it was raining and didn't want to go out but one guy said “sod this, I'm going, who's with me?” or they were all supposed to meet up somewhere, he got the wrong place but went ahead anyway. I'll never know but one thing's for sure, it did put a smile on my face on this wet day.

9 comments:

Ariane said...

I love seeing Hari Krishnas. They're very funny and they always look like they're having a great time.

I wish that's what all religion was - people having fun together and being kind to one another.

anonemouse said...

the last time i saw some was by the lake here.
a group of acolytes were sitting in the shade of tree, singing and playing impromptu instruments.
they were having a ball and even those passing by, who seemed somewhat embarrassed by their obvious joy at simply being there, couldn't help but smile.
i even got a sweet chickpea cake out of 'em and they weren't in the least interested in a monetary donation to the cause...
good people.
altho', ariane, after reading wikipedia's entry on 'em, does this not remind you of somebody?:

Most serious practitioners live according to strict rules. For example, vows to abstain from all forms of recreational drugs and intoxicants (including caffeine), from eating meat, fish and eggs, from gambling, and from all sexual relations except for purposes of procreation within marriage.

Josh said...

Ariane, I quite agree people (especially thous who call themselves religious) should show more love. In an ideal world, the message would not be skewed into the religions we see today, quite saddening really. Still, I'm going to choose to live my life with a smile on my face =)

ER, Good people indeed, but I have two questions:
1)What is sweet chickpea cake?
2)Who on earth are you talking about?

anonemouse said...

well, i can't vouch for sure that this was what i ate, but it sure tasted like something that sounds like this:

http://www.healthypages.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=17090

as for the mystery krishnary, if you can't guess, i guess we'll have to let ariane let us in on who she thinks may have a bit of the 'hare, hare's' about them...

Graham said...

Assuming that you are referring to me, ER, I would like to state for the record that I don't think there should be any restrictions on sex within the obvious boundaries of legality and decency. Restrictions on marriage itself would be a better idea. I'm only sexually inactive because, unlike Hari Krishnas, I don't make people smile when they see me. They tend to gag into their lapels instead.

anonemouse said...

why on earth would you have assumed i was referring to you graham (altho', of course, i was...)?
your stance on de-restricted sex of the decent, consenting kind appears to pretty much mirror my own but, unlike you, i'm up for all the decent, consensual sex i can get (would be interested to know how you define 'decency' tho'?)
not sure, however, that i'm so in agreement with your proposal to limit marriage (or are you more interested in somehow enforcing a limit on sex within marriages? in which case, i fear the sacred institution itself may well have beaten you to it.)
as re your own sexual inactivity, i'm sure it must be more a matter of choice that your provoking any garment-abusing gag reflex in others upon meeting them.
say it isn't so...

Josh said...

ER, this seems so basic even Ariane would be able to eat it!

Graham, I assumed the same thing but for some reason (I have no idea why and I've only just realised I've been assuming this) I assumed you were a Buddhist.

Graham said...

Josh, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I will probably do a bit of both just to be on the safe side.

Josh said...

Normally I would advocate the safe route but in this case, probably best to laugh! I should note, I'm merely offloading random thoughts which may not bare any resemblance to reality, this is a standard disclaimer for most of the things I say.