Monday 31 March 2008

Red Moon

I was driving along (sort of, I don't/can't drive but I was in the passenger seat so that counts) some time late Friday/early Saturday and I noticed that rare occurrence when the moon is low and (I'm not an astronomer so I could be making this up) the light bounces off the Earth's atmosphere and makes the moon look big and red, it's an awe-inspiring sight which I find it impossible to describe (and a quick google search shows many pictures that don't do this phenomenon justice.) I'll remember to take a picture next time.

It got me thinking about how nature has a way of totally humbling you and it (she?) does this again and again. I used to do a lot of camping and sleeping out, this sort of thing would happen to me quite often. It would be something simple like looking up on a moonless night and seeing the sea of stars. Living in London, with very large buildings and “light pollution”, it's very easy to forget this sort of thing but I find that all adds to the experience as when you do see a blood red moon or the stars out in force or even just an imposing mountain on the horizon, I'm reminded of just how insignificant I am (I mean this is a good way =)).

I'll dial down the cheese for now but in the mean time you see something like this, stop and stare, take in the awesome view!

No comments: