Tuesday 1 April 2008

Charity Begins at Home

I've just finished reading Three Cups of Tea. As my commute is now only 20 minutes each way, it's taken me almost a month to read but that's not important right now. The story is an inspirational one, about a climber who promises to build a school in a small village in northern Pakistan. He then devotes the rest of his time to build schools in that region, to bring education where it would not ordinarily be available.

This guy, Greg Mortenson seems to be on a mission to bring schools, education and health care to some of the most remote and inaccessible parts of the world and has won the hearts and respect of the local people as well as people back home in America. It's a lovely tale that must be read, if only to remind you how small your problems are in the grand scheme of things.

I've done (relatively) a little bit of charity work but I find it amazing that someone can be so moved by a cause that they commit all the time and effort they have to that cause. What's more amazing is the perseverance he showed at the beginning when no one else seemed interested and there was no money, living out of the back of his car, but working constantly towards that promise he made.

Not every one has the character, the patients or the tenacity to do what he did but you can make a difference, there are numerous causes in and around London that are begging for volunteers, this is a good place to start. Or if that's not your thing, give blood, little things like this can and do help.

6 comments:

Ariane said...

Sounds really inspirational - and tough. But if your heart's in it, nothing's really that tough. I do this:

http://www.friendsunitednetwork.org.uk/

But my ten-year-old is so much fun I never even think of it as charity work. There's probably a similar scheme in your area, if you live in London...?

Josh said...

I've often wondered how you'd go about joining a “big brother” program (too American?), the thing is, I'm never going to be able to do what the guy in the book did. To be able to effect change like that would just be way beyond me. I guess the only way to go is to try and make a small change and hope it ripples out. Reading your blog, it sounds like you're having a great time doing it!

Zany said...

I also strongly believe that every little bit counts. So it was very nice of you to provide volunteering options at the end of your review.

While reading the book, I was also awe-struck by Greg Mortenson. I agree with you, people like him are extra-ordinary. For someone to drop their entire life, and go to one of the most conflicted areas of the world, and work so effortlessly to provide education is true exceptional.

I actually wanted to volunteer with him in Pakistan. But considering the current political unstability, Mortenson's organization is not taking any volunteers.

But his website linked me to this organization in Nepal (http://www.nepalorphanshome.org/about.asp), where Michael Hess, another extra-ordinary individual is running two orphan homes for Nepalese children. Rescuing them from child labour, prostitution, poverty, and illiteracy. I have had the good fortune of knowing Michael Hess through correspondence, and I am constantly reminded how individuals like him do live their lives for others. I am planning on going to volunteer at his orphan homes in October.

Sorry for the long comment. Btw, I like your background ;).

Josh said...

Zany, thanks and I do appreciate a long comment. Hats off to you, I'd find it hard to volunteer abroad for good length of time, in-fact the only bits of charity work I do are short stints (a day at most usually) in the UK.

The best of luck to you in October, I do hope you write about it. Also, I'm shocked that it costs about £40 for a year's education in Nepal, I'll most definitely pledge!

Zany said...

Aww, thank you for actually taking out the time to read my comment.

I have been going through your blog, and I think I saw two posts regarding blood donation. That is very commendable. It is a good thing you wrote about the blood donation, and other volunteer opportunities. I recently signed up for stem-cell donation.

http://zanysrandomramblings.blogspot.com/2008/08/its-in-you-to-give.html

Josh said...

You took the time to read my post and post a comment, it's the least I could do =)

Going on the bone marrow register is certainly on my list of things to do.