Saturday 19 April 2008

Eye of the Tiger

After an incredibly long and tiring week at work I want to do nothing other then sleep. I'll be very disappointed if I wake up before 2PM tomorrow but we all know what they say about the best laid plans..... I'm turning into a bit of a workaholic, although I've yet to cancel on anyone because I “have an emergency and have to work late” I still can't seem to switch off.

Anyway, I was looking forward to this weekend, not because I have any plans but because I haven't had a weekend to myself for months now. On the way home today, I popped into a friends place and watched Rockey 3, good mindless fun, no need for thinking at all! It still scares me to think it was made in the early 80s very much before my time but still a very good cheesy film loaded with almost as many one-liners as Top Gun.

So, the point (it's a very small one) to all this is to bring your attention to the song 'Eye of the Tiger' by survivor, next time it's on the radio (what station are you listening to?) or pops on your iPod, listen carefully. One of the lines state 'the last known survivor dunks his bread in the night', all the lyrics sites have it wrong! The song is all about raising to the challenge and beating your rives again and again. Naturally this will make you hungry and what survivor are saying here is that once you've won, once you're the last guy standing, no one will judge you for breaking that age old tradition and dunking your bread into soup. I'm sure they encourage putting your elbows on the table in 'Somewhere in America'.

4 comments:

Kia Abdullah said...

I can't listen to that song without hearing "dunks his bread in the night" after you pointed it out to me. I even started laughing on the train once when it came on my iPod (yes, it's on my iPod - and what?)

As for elbows and lyrics, reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend about the precise meaning of "throwin' elbows" (Christina Aguilera's Dirrty). Maybe some enlightenment of the Josh variety is necessary?

Josh said...

Not only is 'Eye of the Tiger' on my iPod but I have the rest of the Rockey soundtrack as well. Worry not Kia, what's played on your iPod, stays on your iPod.

'Elbows' is the name of Christina's cat, it's quite old and can't run very fast. So when the fire breaks out, she has no choice but to pick it up and throw it out the window. I think by doing this, she proved the old saying that 'cats land on their feet' although it really should have been 'put down' years ago (I'm referring to Elbows here not Christina).

Ariane said...

I don't have the song, but love misheard song lyrics so will listen out for the bread-dunking next time I hear it.

Alternatively, you can play it to me on Tuesday, and I can play you the Boyzone song where I swear they're singing "a love mutant's dresses". Except they can't be. Can they?

Josh said...

Misheard?

I don't know that boyzone song, but I think they can. I mean a love mutant surly must have dresses, it would be ridiculous singing about a naked love mutant and less face it, a love mutant with just one dress would be boring.......

I look forward to hearing it on Tuesday.