Friday 25 April 2008

Stalemate

I've been living here for over a year now and, unfortunately, I still have some unopened boxes, things that need to be unpacked. This is not just out of laziness, it's more the fact that the things inside the boxes don't really fit anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I have plans for the stuff, there's a box of pictures that I will one day open up, pick a few and get them blown up to hang them on the wall.

One of the boxes has a night sky globe (a throwback from my 'astrophysics' days) which would look great on a small table in the corner. I don't have a small table in the corner so that stays boxed.

I have a number of coffee table books which I could casually pick up from my coffee table and flick through them whenever I feel the need to look intelligent (yes, I read! What of it?), unfortunately, I don't have a coffee table.

Digging around, looking for something, anything that I could liberate, I stumbled upon an old chess board. I think it was a birthday present from my parents, it's rather nice, the board is mirrored with frosted squares and the pieces are glass (clear and frosted).

Now, I haven't played in years but maybe that's just because people don't walk in, see the board and say “hey I didn't know you played, shall we?” So this is now the plan, find somewhere where I can place it so that I can finally liberate it from the stacks of boxes and maybe even play a game. The only problem is where? I'll give this plenty of thought before finally making the move......

4 comments:

anonemouse said...

josh, why not take the items in question out of the boxes and, then, with the aid of doilies, tie-dye throws and the like, transform the same dowdy boxes into charming occasional tables and, hey presto, your flat will look like something out of the ideal home show...

Josh said...

Thanks for the suggestion, I like the fact that it would kill two birds with one stone but I don't own (nor have had any inclination of owning) any doilies or tie-dye throws. Don't get me wrong, this works well for some people but it's not really my thing, live and let dye I say.

Ariane said...

Great pun Mr J!

I think you should get a coffee table. How about this one?

http://dwell.co.uk/product.php?prod=104174

It's pretty and also pretty cheap.

Josh said...

The problem is that my living room isn't that big but 60x60 might be small enough to fit.... I'll pop over and have a look when it's in stores (tho I'll probably forget all about it by June the 9th)