Sunday 6 April 2008

Knight's Move

I wake up every weekday morning, amble into the living room and turn the TV onto the 'Hits', wait for my eyes to adjust to reality then get going with the whole waking up thing. Throughout the morning until I leave for work, music videos are playing in the background, its nice. Every now and then, amongst the monotonous 'music' on, I stumble upon something that makes me smile, not because the the music is mind blowing but usually because the video has me in stitches. I'm referring to Something good 08 but the Utah Saints. Memories of MC Hammer and thous parachute pants come flooding back.

I remember the first release, it wasn't anything special but was a nice tune. What I didn't know at the time was the main bit was sampled from a Kate Bush track. Cloudbusting isn't amazing (don't get me wrong, it's good) and didn't become a classic, but the video is certainly worth a watch. The familiar looking chap in it is Donald Sutherland who is also in the rather watchable Dirty, Sexy Money.

Over the years, I've missed out on water cooler classics like Lost, Heros, the last 2 seasons of 24 (staring Donald Sutherland's son) and a whole heap of other dramas simply because I'm rarely ever home during prime time. When something new starts or I hear someone raving on about a new series, I find it difficult to watch it, this goes doubly so if it is actually good. Going from past performance, I start watching something but then miss an essential episode, even in this day and age with reruns and +1 channels, I will end up missing something. I get that weird feeling that collectors get when they don't have a full complement of something (marbles I hear you say? Bare with me) and frankly that ruins the rest of the series for me.

So, although I've bought myself around to committing to a travel card, I can't seem to do it for a TV series.

2 comments:

Ariane said...

Oh Josh! I thought this post was going to be about your love of chess. I was getting ready to discuss strategy and the bishop's opening (oo-er) and now I find out it's about telly. I hate telly.

Never mind, I forgive you. Can you write about chess soon though please?

Josh said...

Sorry to disappoint, I love chess! I almost always start my games with a reverse Indian (see two can play at this).

This isn't really about telly, as such. Every now and then I have a train of thought and I'm not quite sure where it will lead, this is one of them! Originally this post was going to end with Terry Gilliam but my mind went in a different direction. I'll get a chess post in soon =)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_psychiatry#Knight.27s_Move_thinking