Tuesday 22 April 2008

Needles

http://www.blood.co.uk/

Firstly, apologies to anyone that's squeamish, this isn't too bad and I don't go into any gory details. Also, I know I've mentioned it before but I thought it was worth a second mention.

Today, for the first time in over nine months, I went to the blood bank, not to take out a loan but to make a small deposit. Over the years I've seen friends and family go into hospital for way too many reasons to go into right now. I know this is going to sound like a complete cliche but some of them would not have walked out of hospital if it were not for the fact that someone, somewhere said “go ahead, stick a needle in my arm”.

To this day, I still have to look away when they stick the needle in but the rest of it is pretty straight forward, there is no pain! I can't stress this enough, this really is a 'zero effort' thing to do. So visit their website, give them a call and book an appointment, it takes no time at all.

Maybe someday, you or somebody you love has to rely on a transfusion, if this happens then, most likely, there is no alternative..... pay it forward.

2 comments:

Ariane said...

Very true. But, like I say in my post, sadly people under 8 stone can't donate. Quel dommage!

PS Another bonus re. giving blood is that, if you do it regularly, you can be certain you don't have hepatitis or HIV. (Not that it should be used as a test-substitute or anything.)

Josh said...

Well naturally it's not for everybody but I'm sure you would be at the front of the queue if it we're for thous damn rules!

As for diseases, my bigger worry is that my blood is so saturated with caffeine and whoever receives it will become an instant addict. You laugh but such things keep me up at night.