Monday 21 April 2008

Photo Booth

I was going through a load of old boxes (I've been here for over a year now and still not fully unpacked), looking for something that's not overly important anymore. I stumbled on an old photograph, you know the type, it was taken in a photo booth, four pictures in a strip. I figure I must have been nine at the time and it was a school trip to France, it cost us ten francs (that's about 1.5 Euros in 2day'z spk). The memory's a bit vague and I can't even remember my friend's name but we walk in a take four different pictures and then wait five minutes for it to develop, it looked like fun.

Fast forward x years to the last time I had to take a passport sized photo (I think it was for a ski pass but don't hold me to that). You sit down in the booth, look at the birdy and wait, one flash later and if you're happy with it, click 'ok' and out pops a print with four copies of the same picture (one in each corner, it's not even a strip!)

It's all digital so how hard would it be to have the machine take four pictures and print them out, there's no reason why the pictures have to be the same! Technically, it'll cost exactly the same to print four of the same or four different ones, so why not have this feature in modern photo booths?

The cynic in me tells me that this is because, if you wanted four different pictures, you would have to pay four times. I remember, out of shear boredom (or amusement), we would make a small visual 'story strip', it was good fun and I really believe that the kids of today are missing out on this simple pleasure. Bring them back I say! Call me a dinosaur but aren't people saying things like “let's give the hoodies something to do”? I'm not saying old-style photo booths would help tackle the hoody/loitering problem but, at the very least, it would give me something to do.

8 comments:

Kia Abdullah said...

Lol, I like it.

And you're right. I've got lots of different versions of my sisters over the years and it is a bit lame that they don't have that option any more.

Ariane said...

Yeah, I miss those strips too! They were always a bit blurry and I always used to blink in at least one frame, but at least they had character and you could pull a different face in each. Oh, for the 1980s...

Hattie said...

When I lived in New York (briefly) I found a bar with a very old black and white photo booth in it. Me and three friends ran in and out one by one, and voila, four very funny portraits. We cut them up and they went four separate ways. I've still got one in my wallet I think. Aw.

Bring back the old-school photo booth!

Josh said...

For years all my photos came out looking like police station mug shots but then I tried a different pose, shift your shoulders 1/3 to the left or right then look directly at then camera (very much like Hattie's profile pic). The pictures don't come out any better but at least now they generate a laugh rather then a gasp! Saying that, Hattie, you seem to make it work.....

Here I was thinking I was the only one who abused these booths! It's nice to know that although they have gone (from all places but one bar in New York) they are not entirely forgotten.

Thanks for the comments (and in a slightly indirect way, the reassurance).

Josh said...

Simple, ware less make-up and let that natural beauty of yours do what it does best and radiate!

Kia Abdullah said...

Woah woah woah, so now it's turned from "You shouldn't have worn makeup in that picture" to "Wear less makeup" - are you trying to say I *always* look like a badly made-up whore?

Josh said...

I'm starting to think you were a lawyer before you were a writer......

You sent me that picture for the sole reason to show me that you shouldn't ware makeup!

Kia Abdullah said...

I didn't send you that picture at all - you saw it on the site.

And surely you mean before I became a "writer" (an old favourite, always useful as part of a salvo).