Monday 14 April 2008

A Great Idea for a Blog

Today, another weird conversation in the office. One of the guys was making toast as I was spreading a huge globule of peanut butter when someone pointed to the jar of Vegemite on the shelf. “What's the difference between Marmite and Vegemite?” As the question was left hanging there for a few seconds, I thought “nows a good time to throw my two cents in.” So, if you're a big fan of either Marmite or Vegemite but have no idea how it's made, stop reading right now, you won't thank me for it.

Both Marmite and Vegemite are what they call 'yeast extracts' common by-products of the beer making industry. In plain English, they take the scrapings from the bottom of the beer barrel after they have finished making the beer, jar it all up and..... that's it! Yes the stuff I love to spread on my toast would have been disposed of as a 'hazardous chemical' until some bright spark thought “we could market this!”

So, explaining my theory which is in no way based on any facts. I said that Vegemite is sweeter than Marmite because, in general, Australian beer is a lot dryer than English beer, so it stands to reason that at the end of the brewing process, there would be more sugar left over in the Australian by-product then the English one. To me this makes sense. At this point, one of the guys ventured “you really should write your musings down on a blog or something, they are so random!” I laughed so hard I almost wet myself, I had to point him to this page....

2 comments:

Ariane said...

Ew, I never knew that! I'm never eating Marmite again. And I've got at least three years' worth in my cupboard...

Josh said...

It never ceases to amaze me how many people say that!
I didn't do any fact checking so do make sure before you commit that half jar to the bin.