Wednesday 2 April 2008

Not Filling the Void

This comes from a conversation I was having in the office this morning, it made me realise that I'm one of the very few people I know that doesn't have any fillings. It's not because I watch what I eat, I don't. I down coke on a regular basis, drink coffee by the gallon almost completely saturated with sugar. I eat many, many bars of chocolate and I never skip out on dessert. So why, after all these years of dental abuse, do I still have a full set of working chompers?

It's not just about teeth, starting to work out after a long absence from any sort of physical activity, I find my cardio is still half there, sure I'm not as healthy as I could be but I've been told many times that if I don't keep it up, I'll go downhill in no time. After almost a year of not doing much (it doesn't help that I have the most comfortable sofa ever!) I'm not the wheezing, coughing person I was expecting to be, not that I'm complaining mind.

Where does that leave me? True, I'm not an athlete in any way shape or form but I think little things like not catching the bus to and from the tube station or walking through Oxford Street weaving in and out of the slow moving traffic that is the vast majority of shoppers. It all keeps me on the edge (at least that's what I choose to believe), naturally I have to face the inevitable, this can't last forever but if I keep exercising and generally overcome my need to be lazy at each and every juncture, I think I can't push it back for many years yet. For the time being...... if you see me coming, make way! =)

2 comments:

Ariane said...

It's good that you're still in fine shape, but as Andrew Matthews (the only lifestyle guru I ever listen to - www.seashell.com.au) says: nothing is constant, everything is flux. So everything you put in your mouth, and every sedentary or active day either adds to your health, or detracts from it - it's incremental. He likens it to the slightly gruesome analogy of cooking a frog in boiling water: if you stick the frog in straight away, it'll jump out, but if you put it in lukewarm water then slowly heat it up, it'll be lulled into a false sense of security, and before it knows it, it'll be cooked (NB I have never done this and I doubt Andrew has either, so don't go calling the RSPCA!)

What I mean is: I just don't want you to wake up in ten years with a pain in your chest or lump in your don't-know-where and find out it's too late! Prevention is so much better than cure. Sorry for being alarmist, and I'm glad you have a comfy sofa. I'm saying this as much as a reminder to myself as anything else.

Josh said...

That's a fair point, you see yourself every day and you don't notice the change until one day you notice how much weight you've put on or you see an old picture.

I'm trying to keep on top of thing but it's nice to have (even an alarming) reminder.

Also, boiling a crab or lobster would be all good but a boiled frog just sounds wrong!