Tuesday 8 April 2008

A Slightly Embarrassing Secret

Let's get this out of the way, I don't have a driving license. Yes I jumped on the bandwagon with all my friends when I was old enough, sat my theory test then just let it expire. Moving forward 2 years, I thought “It's about time I grew up and got a license”. So, again, I sat my theory test, took a number of lessons then proceeded to fail my practical over a number of minor errors. I took some more lessons then failed again and again and again. Yes, that's right, I've failed my test four times!

Anyway, this brings my saga up to 2001, I was in university and would pick up the occasional shift as a security guard (it paid well and thankfully, I never had a serious incident). I had picked the short straw and was working a night-shift on new year's eve, it was in a retail park and I found it to be incredibly boring and uneventful so I decided to take a stroll (do something or go insane would be the general rule of thumb for these shifts) to the local BMW showroom (it was 4am, everything was closed and there wasn't much to see). So pressing my nose up against the window, looking at all the shiny new motorbikes they had in store, I thought back to my dream of owning a bike as a kid, wondering when I gave up on that dream.

After a bit of reading I figured I would need to sit yet another theory test. Once again, I passed! Booked a number of lessons and sat my motorcycle practical first time round (it was snowing as well) and by March that year, I riding around on my first bike!

Now, I'm thinking (and not just because it's freezing out there) it's probably about time I faced my demons and take my driving test again. After a bit of cramming last night and absolutely no preparation for the 'hazard perception' test, I walked out of the test center this morning after ten minutes with a nice certificate telling me I have “two years to book a practical”.

So there it is, my bother-in-law is a driving instructor and I've failed so many times it's a running joke amongst my friends but I have high hopes.

3 comments:

Ariane said...

Good luck! Bet you'll ace it this time. I'm right behind you (not literally, that would be distracting...)

PS "Bother-in-law"? That's a good name if he's really annoying!

Josh said...

He works for the AA and is a very nice man, shame because I'm liking the sound of “bother-in-law”.....

My friends have come up with a way of helping me during the test, they'll drive one in front, one behind and one on either side, this way I just stay in the box, I can't go wrong! Good luck with yours too!

Vlasenkombjq said...

(Area in ,000 Hectares) Boost Your Warehouse Efficiency You will come across plenty of lifted trucks in the market which will offer you with various mechanisms, engines and other equipments. The electric motor and the counter weight are the most popular among the Lift trucks. Another part is truck proper which has an amazing driven mechanism for transmission and lots of wheels attach to it. The electric truck is found to well verse with good programmed operations which is run by the LPG or diesel. A data warehouse cannot be purchased and installed. Its implementation requires the integration of implementation of many products. Following are the steps of the Data Warehouse implementation: