Tuesday 29 April 2008

Tasted Like Chocolate Never Tasted Before

I had a Flake today. I took a bite, held the wrapper waiting to catch the crumbs (to be saved for the end game) but this time I noticed didn't get as many crumbs as I used to. That is to say, I can eat the entire bar without making too much of a mess. Don't get me wrong, not making a mess and maintaining your dignity does have it's benefits but, in my opinion, the best thing about eating a Flake was pouring the crumbs into your mouth after.

So is it me or are Flakes flaking less? Have Cadbury, in their infinite wisdom, changed the crumbliest, flakiest milk chocolate to be less crumbly and flaky? I can't understand why they would do that as their entire marketing campaign is based around the fact that the Flake flakes! In fact, at one point, they even suggested that you would have to eat the Flake in a bath as it would make such a big mess (that's my interpretation of that ad and I'm sticking to it!)

I shouldn't take a stab at Cadbury's marketing team as they do seem to know what they're doing, they are currently using Joss Stone as their spokeswoman. It was a truly inspired strategy to use a flake to sell Flake.

8 comments:

anonemouse said...

you could always stab cadbury's m'ckting team with a flake, to demonstrate scientifically to them how it ain't flaking like it never flaked before...
this would also have the added bonus of leaving little brown stab wounds on their immaculately pressed white business-type shirts...
mmmmm...

Josh said...

Unfortunately their jedi marketing tricks work on a weak-minded individual like my self, I would probably walk out of the office thinking Cadbury is the greatest thing on Earth with Joss Stone a close second.

No, by far the best thing for me is to steer clear of all adverts, marketing teams, jingles and anything shiny.....

Ariane said...

Ooh, got the knives out for Ms Stone there Josh! All you need now is some paper and you can play paper, scissors, Stone... why don't you like her? Is it 'cause she's (almost) nicked your name?

I've never really liked Flakes. They're a bit sickly and they don't half make a mess. Give me a slab of hazelnut Galaxy anyday.

Josh said...

The truth is I like Joss Stone, I even bought soul sessions, but I'd never admit that in public, it kind of makes you a social outcast....

I just really wanted to use the phrase "a flake to sell Flake", apologies to Joss for being as cold as a stone.

Ariane said...

Don't worry, I wasn't having a go. Today I gave Gordon Brown dried haddock in a bin and dissed Victoria Beckham and Kirstie Allsopp (though she's a Tory so she deserves it) so I can't talk.

Josh said...

So I admitted that I like Joss Stone for no reason? This is not something I can just take back you know!

Right, I'm off to hang my head in shame, maybe there's a support group I can join....

Kia Abdullah said...

Mmmmm... Hazelnut Galaxy

Anonymous said...

excellent writing .