Wednesday 30 April 2008

Exploding Batteries

I bought a laptop in 2005 and a few weeks after buying it, I got a nice letter from IBM telling me that some of their batteries may have be defective and could explode if I misused it, used it or even try to charge it! So, they directed me to a website where I could type in my serial number and if the battery was found to be from the “effected batch” I would be sent a replacement and should immediately stop using it.

Surprise surprise, my battery was one of the potentially explosive ones and I should only use the laptop with the battery removed. I thought “it'll only be a few days, they obviously care about my safety” so I disregarded their instructions and continued using it. A week past, no battery, no explosion. Two weeks past, no battery, no explosion. In fact I've been using this 'tainted' battery for the last three years now and I've heard no pop, sizzle or bang from it. Let me tell you the adrenaline rush I get every time I turn on this laptop, knowing that I take my life into my own hands is unparalleled!

Ok, so I exaggerate slightly but there's a subtle point to be made here. I received an email from my former boss this morning telling me that the replacement has arrived! I had pretty much given up hope but it's finally here. I would like to say that I'm annoyed at IBM for taking so long but I have to say, it couldn't have worked out better, I get about twenty minutes out of this battery now and was going to buy a new one anyway........ thanks!

3 comments:

anonemouse said...

and all this death-defyingness came at no charge (arf, arf) to your good, and still intact self, one assumes
(apart from the cost of an ibm in the first place, obviously)?
a bargain sir!

Kia Abdullah said...

> and all this death-defyingness came at no charge

Oh no, the dreaded puns are contagious!

Josh said...

ER: That was brilliant! But I should mention that the deal is not as bargainious as first seems. See every time this laptop is powered up, I didn't know if I would survive the next few minutes, although this feeling gives one a true feeling as to the preciousness of life, it does take a bit from my sanity! This, I should mention has a dwindling source so the cost is indeed going up with each usage. I can't imagine I'll have much use for it anyway.

Kia: I placed the order in 2005, it was delivered in 2008, I guess you could say it took the contagious! (sorry)