Wednesday 28 May 2008

Bed Head

This morning, I was presented with a rather unfortunate sight in the mirror. It would seem that all the hair on the right hand part of my head has developed a mind of it's own, had a major disagreement with my scalp and has decided that it would be best if it didn't speak to or touch my head at all. This would not have been a problem had the rest of my hair followed suit in some sort of hair solidarity but it didn't! The rest of my hair was flat as if nothing had happened.

It was a rather surreal look and the only thing I can think of that comes close was that scene in Terminator 2, it was near the end when the liquid terminator gets a grenade fired into his face, blowing up half of it. As I'm sure most would agree, it's not a pretty look.

Off to work I went, my first course of action was to attempt to mend the rift between the head and the hair, hoping that I could help them work through whatever disagreement they were having. This was a bit of a lost cause as it seems the wounds run deep here. I tried some fiber putty, clay, two part epoxy resin and super glue (not all at the same time) but the hair was having none of it! It continued to stand there, smiling at me.

The only thing left to do (short of visiting Stephen Fry's hair cutting dopplegaenger, handing him a Bic and asking him to show no mercy) was to try and bring the rest of the hair to the same, disagreeable, standard as the right side. Thankfully this required relatively little effort and although it looked messy, it looked intentional. Fellow commuters didn't seem to notice (not that they would notice anything that's not printed in the Metro, some people look really engrossed in that “newspaper”). The people in my office didn't notice either, in-fact, I managed to get through the entire day with only one person noticing that my hair was messier then usual, I would call this a success.

Today was ok but should this happen again, I may not be so lucky, for this reason, I'm now in the market for a baseball cap.

4 comments:

anonemouse said...

know the feeling josh, every damn morning of my life...
kinda curious to know tho' why you set off for work with a scaled-down recreation of the parting of the red sea atop your bonce, rather than trying to remedy the follicular grand canyon before you left the house?
altho' as you rightly pointed out, the freesheets, sad sacks and other ne'erdowells on the underground wouldn't even deign to spit on you let alone look at you, even if you were writhing around on the wagon floor, painted green, with your entrails hanging out and barking like a dog... london eh?
also, were you to hand your erstwhile and erudite tonsorial artiste a bic, were you hoping that he'd also be able to produce a good facsimile of stephen's fry signature and that you could then ebay this to fund the purchase of a suitable baseball cap?
or, silly me, did you mean the other kind of bic?
altho' don't you think a lighter might had set off some kind of deadly fireball resulting from the combination of substances applied to your head by your own fair hands, rather than simply effectuating the controlled burn you were no doubt hoping for?

Josh said...

Yes, I was a bit ambiguous with “off to work”, I meant off to work on my hair as opposed to leave for work, my bad.

It's true the dregs on the tube wont give you the time of day from their vanilla scented time pieces but I find this all adds to the beauty that is London!

Now, I was referring to the Bic razor (you knew this, don't toy with me boy!) but your lighter suggestion has got me thinking, this could well be the solution I'm looking for...... Deadly fireball or controlled burn, either way the problem will be solved and I wont need a baseball cap!

Kia Abdullah said...

Oops... next time I won't comment. Actually, that's a lie and we both know it.

Josh said...

Kia, if I *ever* get to the stage where I want you to keep your comments to your self, please shoot me!