Sunday 18 May 2008

Sod's Law

Looking at the light drizzle outside, I decided to go for a ride, it was very light and felt the need to do something. I start by pumping up the tyres, I hear a slight 'snap', the leaver on the pump had broken off, not a problem, I haven't had a puncher in over a year, I'll just pick one up sometime midweek. So off I went, the destination of the day was Canary Wharf.

One of the things people never seem to notice is that London has a number of canals with people living in narrowboats. I went past a kayaking center and on towards Little Venice with more narrowboats including one which is a floating puppet theater. On towards King's Cross and up Pentonville Road which isn't too steep by seems so long!

Going down City Road (this time not going in and out of the Eagle) I always turn my head to see City Road tube station, it reminds me that London is constantly changing and even the tube map which never seems to change is a dynamic picture.

Finally getting to east London and I have to say, you really have to be on the ball to ride a bike in that part of the world. I was almost hit twice and had a guy open his car door right in front of me, I have just enough time to shout “What the f**k?” before swerving onto the main part of the road and smiling slightly at the apologetic driver. Finally just over an hour after I set off, I get to Canary Wharf! Every time I aim for that part of London, I always get distracted and never seem to make it, but there I was and there was nothing much to see so I pop into the climbing center for a few coffees and a catchup, met many people I hadn't seen in a while.

The return journey was pretty much the same until I get to Lord's cricket ground, my front tyre burst. Not a problem I thought as I always carry a spare inner tube and a pump in my bag. I look in and remember my pump is broken and that I'm pretty much screwed. So, why not walk and see if I can find a cycle shop, get a new pump then, at the very least, I can cycle home.

Lords had just let out so there was a constant stream of cricket fans coming towards me, I did consider stopping one and asking “so what's cricket all about, I don't get it, could you please explain it to me?” but thought better not to. I'm nearing Edgeware road when I thought to call 118118 and asked them for the nearest cycle shop, they tell me it's at Westminster which is an outright lie!

So, walking on, I pass an art gallery under Marylbone Road with come of the most surreal sculptures I've ever seen! Still, on foot, on towards Paddington by which time, I had given up all hope so I get onto the tube and head home. I see a man who clearly has complete disregard for hattiquette and is relieving himself by a tree, by this I don't mean on the tree, I mean his is standing there, doing his business beside the tree!

I finally get home both tired and tyred, total distance covered: 29 miles. Not too bad but a far cry from the 120 miles I need (more on this some other day).

6 comments:

anonemouse said...

sounds like a very eventful ride josh, despite the inclement weather, the pump failure, the lurking danger, the inevitable puncture, the unreliable information, the cricket crowds, the bemusement about the point of that silliest of games, the surreal sculpture, the ad hoc tree waterer, and all the rest...
but 29 miles ain't bad (damn, that's 45 kilometers, or almost 60 Swiss Francs) and it does sound like you had a lot of fun too...

Josh said...

Yes despite all of the above, I was on my bike and the weather wasn't too bad so it was indeed a good day!

Looking out of the window now, I see nothing but blue skys.......

Ariane said...

You always manage to be so happy, whatever the situation! Now, why do you need 120 miles? Did you make a bet with The Proclaimers?

Josh said...

Happy seems the way to go!

I would ride 60 miles and I would ride 60 more, doesn't quite have the same ring to it....

Hattie said...

Excellent use of 'hattiquette'.

Josh said...

Thanks, I hope, one day it'll enter the dictionary tho, for your sake, the act it's currently associated with changes before that happens.