Thursday 29 May 2008

How do You Address a Canon?

This isn't the start of a weird joke, more, this is a classic example of how a innocuous comment in our office can quickly spiral into a forty five minute discussion with many differing opinions, citations, history and a few tears. Ok, there were no tears but there should have been!

If, on the off chance you're on the edge of your seat, the correct style would be “The Reverend Canon”, “His Eminence” would be for a cardinal (not, as a lot of people think, the Pope) and “His Holiness” for the Pope. How is this the least bit relevant to my life? I hear you ask, well all I'll venture at this point is that you'll thank me should you ever come face-to-face with a Canon, a Cardinal or Pope Benny.

From one to the same, I watched a lot of Benny Hill as a kid and, yes, I liked it. I know it's not very politically correct to admit to that in this day and age but please, bear in mind I just referred to God's representative on this Earth as 'Benny' so one can safely assume I'm not on that particular band wagon.

This one sketch that sticks in my mind for no real reason, in-fact I can't even remember the entire sketch or even the context. All I remember is a lady telling Benny that his long lost father was a canon to which he says “My father was a canon? Well I'll be a son of a gun!” and for some reason, this still has me in stitches.

13 comments:

anonemouse said...

well, bugger me!
(as the bishop said the altar boy said to him...)
didn't know the pope's dad was a canon (so, was his mum a ball?), or that he had a sketch show...
d'you get vatican tv on cable at yours, or what?
and, perhaps, more than stitches, intensive care or the psychiatric ward would be most appropriate...

Josh said...

I believe the actress is traditionally cited with that particular phrase, the alter boy is an innocent party in all this. I as saying just this morning that I question my sanity on a regular basis, if I thought (that is knew) I am sane then I would, in-fact, be insane but as I don't I'm not (this I know), tho this then puts me back to the beginning which will make me question my sanity......

I should also (and not in a totally unrelated way) mention that Vatican TV doesn't come on cable, God broadcasts in mysterious ways.

anonemouse said...

no-one is denying the altar boy's innocence (you'll note that the bishop was simply relaying hearsay evidence) and i'm sure the day little chap on the receiving end gets to stand up in court (albeit painfully) he will tell the truth, the hole truth and nothing butt the truth, so help him god...
re your insanity defence, might be best not to do a heather mccartney and get a good lawyer tho'...
and, josh, i stand bowed in wonder and awe of your last line!

Josh said...

You can't compare my insanity defense to Heather McCarthey/Mill's, she, at least, had a leg to stand on!

Now, unlike my defense for my sanity, my defense for the last comment is lack of sleep....

anonemouse said...

boom, boom! (or, perhaps, just the one boom in this case...)
re your latest, rather overtired defense, that's the trouble with all you young-at-heart, late-in-the-day posters, the youth of t'day simply havnae got the stamina, eh graham?
graham? graham?
bugger, he must have dropped off...

Ariane said...

I was going to make a ball joke, but ER got there before me. Grrr.

anonemouse said...

too late slowpoke!
that'll teach you to spend your days at work!

Graham said...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

anonemouse said...

and who said the old 'uns weren't the good 'uns, eh, eh?

Josh said...

Ariane, it's never too late to splice in a ball joke (or two!)

Graham, That joke's as old as ER himself!

ER, In my defense on my defense which, admittedly, was a defense for something I may have said, I'll have you know I was in t'mines till the crack of dawn this morning and here I am in the office with no sleep and mild hallucinations, but this situation is probably indefensible.

Graham said...

I'll get my cocoa.

Josh said...

At the moment, I feel I should probably do the same...

Anonymous said...

hi all
http://www.tor.com/community/users/ongradovab1981
http://www.tor.com/community/users/rupmecara1982
http://www.tor.com/community/users/ritipusig1989
http://www.tor.com/community/users/hevwildverde1972
http://www.tor.com/community/users/wfinenducus1980