Friday 16 May 2008

What's That Got To Do With The Price of a Toothbrush?

I use an electric toothbrush, yes I know it's an incredibly lazy thing to do but it does a better job of cleaning my teeth then a regular on ever can. Anyway, it's getting to the point where I should retire the Braun so I spent a small portion of my day looking for a new toothbrush.

A number of people rave on about the sonicare, very nice I thought, the UV sanitizer seems a bit gimmicky as it wont really do anything other then degrade the plastic on the brush head. So I'll go for the basic model, went onto the Boots website, saw the price was mislabeled.

A bit of searching later and I found the price was indeed correct, £150 for the basic model! I had to double check that I was still looking at a toothbrush. Is the sonicare really that good? Can any toothbrush be that good? When did toothbrushes become so expensive? How on earth can they possible justify the price tag?

The thing is, whenever something like this happens, I always feel like I've 'missed a meeting', like something major has happened and nobody has told me about it. I guess this has a similar theme to the “I remember when I could have a meal, watch a movie and get the bus home and still have change from £2” thought but I really feel this is not the case here. I'm I getting old or is £150 a ludicrous price to charge for a rechargeable toothbrush?

4 comments:

anonemouse said...

but look how happy those people who use it look josh...
the first chap's cocky yet confident smile, the pearlies on the couple on a collision course, how could you not want to attain that dream-like state, in the knowledge that your molars, incisors and canines had been silently yet sonically massaged into esctasy...
the real question is, is £150 too high a price to pay for face-aching happiness?
i think not!
you should buy two!
one for upstairs, one for down...

Josh said...

Whenever I think permanent, painful smile, I always think Cheri Blair. She's an example of how badly this could go and just how far one could push this concept. I for one don't think I have the muscles for that sort of premasmile. That being said, they look so happy!

As for buying two, I'll choose to take you literally, I live in a flat so should only need one. That being said, they look so happy!

Sofi said...

hello!

i have a similar problem, well actually its just an electric-toothbrush related rant which i need to air in public, hence blog hopping has compelled me to post a comment!

i too have been using a braun oral b** toothbrush, which regularly breaks down and vow to take the advice of an ex colleague and purchase a philips sonicare brush but the price tag puts me off (and add the exceedingly dear replacement brushheads ((BTW boots over charge on brand items as we all know! buy online!)) so one always reluctantly returns to the braun oral b knowing full well they dont last longer than a couple of years (max). still, the fact that i buy one for half the original price each time is some comfort (incidentally, i just bought an oral b (sensitive; £12) from Argos after weeks of research and indecisiveness!). i keep reminding myself it does the job - until the next time it breaks down.

** name & shame, i say!

Josh said...

Sofi, welcome to my humble soapbox!

The Braun lasts, say, one and a half years and costs about one tenth of the Sonicare. That means the Sonicare would have to last fifteen years to be the same value! The only way I can see them justifying the price tag (other then ER's suggestion above) is if it had amazing cleaning abilities and I mean it would have to leave my pearly whites whiter then a KKK rally!

Rant or explode.....