Tuesday 27 May 2008

Intents

Having nothing to do on the bank holiday weekend, I took some friends up on their offer to go with to the Hay festival in Wales. I had a quick (too quick as it happens) look at the weather and thought nothing of it, a bit of drizzle wont be a problem.

We were camping and witnessed a down pure the like of which hasn't been seen since Noah's days but that was Sunday, Saturday was a nice warm day. We got to the campsite and setup our tents, went to a few talks then lit a fire, opened a few bottles of wine and settled in for the night. It was past one in the morning and most people had gone to sleep when a lady of Australian decent descended on to us. She told us she arrived that afternoon, didn't know anyone there and could not remember where her tent was (did I mention she might have been a bit tipsy?).

My friend gave me a look that seemed to say “I ain't doing it!” so I picked up the torch and off we went. We spent the next half an hour walking around the field, trying not to wake anyone else up and I was asking her what, if anything, she remembered about the location of her tent.

Finally, we managed to narrow it down to a few tents, tried to knock on the first one, only to hear a groggy voice asking “who the f**k is that?” After crossing that one off the list we moved on to the next one, we knocked, nothing, opened the outer door, nothing, opened the inner door and joy! The inside of the tent contained no people (which could have been embarrassing), but did have her bags.

I wished her a good night and went back to a now waining fire and a glass of cold red wine with one question on my mind, “how on Earth can someone forget where they pitched their tent?”

8 comments:

anonemouse said...

descending australians?
now i know (becos' you mentioned) that it rained cats and dogs on sunday, but isn't that going just a wee bit too far...?
however, 'twas highly commendable of you to help a damsel in distress, even if she was from down under...
and, just think, had you not have found her tent for her and seen her safely ensconsed within, she might have had to shelter in yours when the inevitable rain began to fall, and, by the sound of things, that would have meant the wet weekend outside could have turned into an even more intensely wet one inside under the canvas...

Josh said...

Australians descend upon you, that is just their way, I don't question it.

I should note that you are showing your age by mentioning 'canvas' in the context of tents, having said that, I'm probably doing the same by picking up on it.

Also, I've noticed, as of late, that your comments seem to be veering towards that single track we all know and love. Would I be prying if I asked if there was a reason behind this?

anonemouse said...

frankly my dear, i'm gagging for it...

Josh said...

That may well be the most concise thing I've read from you.

anonemouse said...

well, i am desperate...
and desperate times call for desperate measures...

Josh said...

So I take it that you are not surrounded by "happy couples" that insist on setting you up.

anonemouse said...

thank the gods no!
there is truly nothing more excruciating (OK, waterboarding may come close...) than well-meaning friends trying and failing to understand your tastes (the legal and the not-so-legal ones...) and getting it so utterly wrong, yet still having to sit through interminable dinners being polite and looking interested in someone sitting opposite who 'is really nice' but, to whom, you would really rather be downright rude, if only becos' that would get you out of there quicker and back home to sit alone, misanthropic and despondent, cursing your luck (or lack thereof...) and abusing the usual suspect instead...

Josh said...

I'm going to skirt past the not-so-legal tastes comment.....

The problem I have is most couples I know simply want the company of other couples and to that end throw any attempt at compatibility out the window. Though this would be wildly amusing, it doesn't really do me much good. I try to shy away from setups by couples now-a-days.