Sunday 11 May 2008

It's Like Riding a Bike

It about this time of year that the sun comes up and my bike (labeled the beast for some unknown reason by a former owner) gets to see the outside world. It's been nine months since I last jumped on it so a nice easy ride to ease myself into the whole self-propelling peddling thing.

My first thought was to ride up to docklands, but fifteen miles there and another fifteen miles back would have been too much for a first attempt so, why not pick a random direction and see what happens? South it was and away from the hustle and bustle!

My route took me past Ealing, Gunnersbury, Brentford then to Kew and Richmond. Wondering which way to go and feeling a bit thirsty at this point, I was presented with three choices; turn back, go along the river or go up the impressively steep Richmond Hill. I so thirsty when I got to the top of the hill that I happily handed over £1.20 for a small bottle of water from an ice cream man!

Into the lovely Richmond park, I had to avoid some low flying deer. I got out the other side, relatively deerless and decided to go towards Hampton Court, I'd turn back there. I left the park via 'Ham Gate' which, oddly, put me in a small place called 'Ham', at this point I would have to admit I was lost but knowing that my final destination was Hampton, I figured I must be half way there.

After a bit of circling around, I asked a motorcycle instructor which way to go, he laughed at me but eventually pointed me in the right direction. Kingston was the next town I cam across and the rest was plain sailing! Finally, at Hampton court looking like I had just stepped out of the gym, I could do nothing but turn the bike around and cycle back home. The total distance was just over twenty miles but, at the time, it felt like a lot more.

I don't join a gym as I get bored very easily, I much prefer getting on the bike just to see where I end up.

5 comments:

anonemouse said...

you're so right josh: few things in the city, and out of it, in the summer are quite as relaxing and revealing as riding around randomly on a bicycle.
you can cover much larger distances than you ever would walking; go to places you'd never go on foot, in a car, or on public transport; don't have to buy hay, brush its mane or muck out its stable; ride up hills you would simply admire from the bottom, and imagine the view from, without two wheels under you; and endure none of the endless problems -- parking, polluting and people sitting in front of you in theirs in traffic jams -- that you'd have were you in a car...
the only thing i can think of that would have made your day on your bike a little more perfect, if that were possible, is a cycling companion, of the sex and sexual persuasion of your choice, to chat idly to as you rode around and, who, when it came to the hills showed you a clean pair of heels and a well-toned posterior as an incentive to get up 'em (the hills i mean...)
long may you ride!

Ariane said...

Deer? That's wonderful! I want to see some. I'm going to Richmond to see my friend forthwith.

Come to Norf Laandan next time. Can you pedal that far, or would that be too much of a trek?

Josh said...

ER, a wonderful comment and you too are quite right, I love zipping through traffic jams, smiling at frustrated drivers along the way in the vain hope that they would smile back, many more to come this summer!

You raise a good point, I was indeed lacking in idle chatter on my ride (the best kind, in my opinion) and there's nothing like getting behind a well toned behind for incentive....

Josh said...

Ariane, Richmond park is well worth a visit, it's one of the bigger royal parks in (or around) London and I'm sure Forthwith would be happy to point out some Deer, at the very least it'll be a great day out.

As for Norf Laandan, it takes me about twenty minutes to cycle to that end from here but I have a tendency to look incredibly 'minging', so much so that even sitting outside a cafe with a coffee makes me feel guilty as I think I drive way business. Steering clear of urban areas may be my best bet.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.