Thursday 15 May 2008

Feel It In My Fingers But Not My Toes

I got home tonight with a sense of disappointment. Please don't get me wrong, I've had a great day, the weather's been nice and work is good. I did my usual Wednesday thing by popping into the climbing center in the hope of scaling a few walls and getting some exercise.

I did my usual thing by spending a few minutes chatting with the friendly staff, I didn't realise that Iggy Pop was one of the pioneers of punk rock. I always thought the punk movement was a very British thing in the 70s, influenced by American rock but here I stood corrected! I reminisced a bit about the first concert I ever went to and my first crowd surfing experience. Anyway, here I digress.

The climbing, fairly simple when you look at it, start at the base and haul all that you truly possess, against the pull of gravity, to the top. For some reason, it just was not happening, I 'climbed' for two hours and never once reached the top! It wasn't through lack of trying either, my fingers, hands and arms ache, I do feel like I've had a real workout but still quite disappointed.

I'll do better next week I guess, onwards and upwards!

10 comments:

anonemouse said...

and the ramones, and the new york dolls, and television, who malcolm maclaren (who's never had an original idea in his life, but who's a genius when it comes to making the most out of other people's) saw play in new york, and who then returned to london and svengalied the sex pistols thru' the 70s, 'til they went 'bang'...
hope you didn't have to go back over your first stage spitting - on either the giving or the receiving end - experience too tho'?
and if your climbing may not have taken you to the heights you hoped for, at least it got you off the ground and worked out something even if it didn't work out exactly as planned so it seems more like a cause for (mild) celebration...
as confuscius say, every climb starts with the first fingerhold.

Josh said...

I always thought it was Lao Tzu who said that! This Confuscius bloke sounds like a wise man indeed I'll be sure to pick up his album. Where did he fit into the punk moment?

anonemouse said...

josh!
don't you curse me in chinese!
confuscius pogo-ed the first step, and the whole thing went from there...

Josh said...

I see, thanks for clearing that up and I apologize for the Lao Tzu comment, I had no idea you knew Chinese!

anonemouse said...

well, i do know a couple of good 'uns, where the peking (do we know have to say beijing?) duck is very, very special...

Josh said...

So your rolls extend to spring as well as Swiss....

Ariane said...

Sorry to interrupt your love-in guys, but... er, I think I may go climbing one of these days. And I think it looks very hard. And that you did your best and that is good enough.

That is all. Pray continue.

Josh said...

Ariane, despite the love-in interruption, you're more then welcome to join me anytime, it's not hard at all it's just the Josh-lameness that makes it look difficult.

Kia Abdullah said...

I bet Ronaldinho would have done better.

Josh said...

I agree, I'm sure he would but Marlon Brando would get half way up and order a cheese burger....