Monday 12 May 2008

Hair Today

As a child, I hated going to the barber. I'd walk in with my day, they would put a plank of wood on the handles of the chair, joke about how short I was. As he would cut my hair, he'd joke about how he once slipped and cut someone's ear off (would I like to see the ear? No thanks), granted at the end of it all, I would get a lollipop but then I would have an itchy back for the rest of the day, it just wasn't pleasant.

Tonight I did very much the same thing, I went for a hair cut, how stark the differences! I sat down, they washed my hair and gave a quick head massage, then talked about Hugh Everett the third and his, then, ground breaking theories on parallel universes. Talked a bit about the big 'M' theory and how a number of theories the quantum physics seemed to merge into one when seen in a world with (I think) eleven dimensions.

Cracking open a bottle of a fine Welsh single malt, we chatted about various other things like HD tv, the fact that some countries don't seem to have an indigenous rebellious sub-culture that they can call their own so they create a mishmash of others that seem to work rather well together. How Mr. Bean seems to be more exportable to non English speaking nations then, say, Seinfeld.

We spoke about how in the London elections, a 'non of the above' option would have been invaluable. How the BBC iPlayer's volume control goes up to '11' and both of us thought 'Spinal Tap' was a real documentary when we first saw it. At the end of it all, my ears were once again visible. Over all, despite the fact I spent the evening doing pretty much nothing, an enjoyable experience. Alas, no lolly tho.

4 comments:

Ariane said...

Blimey, which hairdresser do you go to? I want them! Mine only ever talks about weather, holidays and celebrity gossip. Yours sounds like Stephen Fry's haircutting doppelganger.

anonemouse said...

bugger me (not literally tho', if you please...), you're all going at it like rabbits (if they go to the bunny barbers?) as hattie is getting shorn today too...
but, while i assume the head massage is an integral part and parcel of the sterling service your coiffeur offers, is the scintillating conversation included too, or do you have to pay extra for this?
now, only have to go and look half of this up to know what vidal sassoon (so he is the spiritual son of siegfried then...) was on about and, while i still have my locks, i'll also have a lot more stuff tucked away in that remarkably empty vessel beneath 'em...
must be nice to have visible ears again too, as invisible ears must make putting your sunnies on into a real trial...

Josh said...

Ariane, tho I love holidays and the weather (currently), entering a conversation on celebrity gossip would leave me with a blank look on my face saying 'umm', I know nothing on the subject. On the flip side, entering conversation with Stephen Fry would leave me with a blank look on my face saying 'umm', he seems to have an inexhaustible well of knowledge, I would love to meet him but I fear the talk would be completely one sided.

Other then the fine whiskey, our hair dressing experiences sound quite similar.

By the way, “Stephen Fry's haircutting doppelganger”, love it!

Josh said...

ER, I would like to think of the flowing conversation as a bonus rather than an added extra.

Something tells me your “remarkably empty vessel” is more remarkable than empty.....